1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Between yesterday and today's examples of high ranking administration officials being publicly clueless and this story, you should be scared to death. This is exactly the wrong administration to have in charge during a pandemic. Trump is ready to give coronavirus the global warming treatment - deny it exists and forbid the mention of the problem. I'm not in full hair on fire prepper mode - but I *am* going to be buying up canned and dried food, gloves, and storing water. Stuff that can be used over time. I'm not buying cases of MREs, but beans and rice are cheap and store well.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There's no proof that the Internet infrastructure can handle the massively increased daytime load that's coming its way.

3. Neutral Corner

You can bet that telecommuting is about to explode, at least to the degree that the infrastructure can handle.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

On the plus side, investing in Netflix, Amazon and other streaming services seems like a decent idea.

5. Neutral Corner

I'm not so sure of that. I'm seriously considering going liquid for a while. The market dropped a thousand points over statistics on the spread. What happens when China's factories and ports start to shut down temporarily in order not to concentrate people, to fight the spread of disease? Or when they start to shut down because of a lack of healthy workers? This might be a very good time to consider going money market before your 401k starts falling like stockbrokers in 1929. I don't think you'd get hurt by missing a market spike upwards, put it that way.

That said, I can think of a couple of folks that I hope embrace Trump's skill at the market and double down.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given the outbreaks are concentrated in authoritarian regimes, what if the numbers are much, much larger?

7. Neutral Corner

Where is the leadership, information, guidance, and preparation intended to keep the American people safe?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Singapore has this under control and it's right in the eye of the storm.

Granted, it is led by a guy who learned an Arabic script by age 5 and not a subliterate moron who uses incontinence products.

9. Neutral Corner

10. Neutral Corner

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Should be some good deals on cruises in the future.

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted