1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't most colleges limit locker room access anyway?
    Seems like almost all of them do the interview room/dais setup nowadays. Or at the smaller levels you just tell the SID who you want and they usually get them for you outside the door. Granted, I'm not a beat writer, but I've covered my share of stuff over the years. I think the last time I saw a college with an open postgame locker room was in the 1990s.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

About the same for me either way. The commute is not tremendous, but I can concentrate on work at the office. At home there are more inducements for me to either work on other things or just "goof off" and put things off until office day.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Holy fuck, the science-denying ignorant Trumpists already in Wolken's mentions.

Inky_Wretch and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Trying to remember from my days of covering the ACC ... it's been a few years, but VT was open. Virginia brought players into a players lounge adjacent to the locker room. Duke was totally open, on the road at least. I generally covered VT or UVa when I was on the road, so I didn't go into the home locker rooms all that much. More concerned about getting guys from the team I covered.

The biggest thing from the locker-room closing deal is losing pre-game access for baseball beat writers. Postgame stuff is OK, just game quotes. But you do most of your feature/Sunday notebook stuff way before games. Everybody is pretty relaxed at that point. Also been a bit since I've covered pro sports, but I remember the NBA having some pre-game access, at least to the coach. NFL locker rooms were a fucking cluster. Offensive linemen really liked to conduct interviews naked for some reason.

7. Neutral Corner

Stone ignorant and not interested in changing.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Then what about baseball games (college and pro)? Concerts? Restaurants? Political rallies? Movie theaters? Airports?
    I get the fear, but how far down the shitter do you want to flush the economy? The NCAA Tournament is not the only event that draws thousands of people, and by logical extension if you're canceling all mass gatherings then you might as well quarantine the entire country.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Rams took no such precaution when there was a staph outbreak in their locker room years back.

10. Neutral Corner

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted