1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was a Honda Center on Tuesday night for Ducks vs. Ottawa. Smallest crowd of the season. I attributed it to being the Ducks vs. the Sens, but virus fears might have had an affect. I will be there Wednesday night for Ducks vs. St. Louis, the replay of the Bouwmeester cardiac arrest game. But on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, there will be no fans allowed in the same arena for the Big West basketball tournament.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Flying out on Monday and back to NYC...

Fellow New Yorkers, what's the vibe? We've gotten texts from friends saying "stay in south africa!" and another friend has her mom in a nursing home and now can't visit (just outside the city). I've been trying to get information from official sources only for the most part and reading the recaps each day instead of following it second by second on Twitter. Just hoping we don't fly into an Escape from New York situation next week.

SA has had like seven cases so far (but their testing too is limited), all connected to a family who came back from Italy. So we definitely feel nice and content here but at the same time have to get back to our lives, get to our accountant for taxes, make sure apartment is still standing, etc (and of course it could easily ramp up here as well). But definitely curious/tad anxious about what situation will be like a week from now in NYC.

Cape Town is also now again in the middle of rolling blackouts. Which suck, especially as I work from here but need the internet for it. That said, it's sort of nice not being able to read about corona for seven hours during the day.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Went to a county Dems meeting last night where the state Dem chair said there are early talks of not having the convention in Milwaukee and possibly having a virtual convention. Doubt that kind of insanity would happen.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Nothing more privileged than white people with money.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have been in NY for the last 2 weeks. In the city itself, it's not an escape from NY vibe, but I could see things shutting down more if the number of cases takes off.

I don't have to ride the subway much, but I did yesterday morning during rush hour. The train was crowded. And I was uncomfortable being in such close proximity to so many people. I actually took a different train than I would have normally and walked extra, to avoid a transfer and more time down there. The subway is the one thing I really want to avoid now.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If things get truly terrible in places with a lack of hospital beds, I wonder if health authorities might borrow a page from elder care and enact treatment in place (a la aging in place). Stay home, manage your symptoms, and mobile teams of med students/volunteers will get to you eventually. Repurposing gyms, schools, convention centers, etc. would still require getting beds from somewhere.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Yes, I am not worried about myself. We had dinner with my husbands siblings and spouses, 2 of them have respiratory issues. I wouldn't hug any of them. How do I know that I don't have it at that moment. Just not going to risk it for people that I know are in the high risk group. 4 out of the 7 are trumpers (we do NOT talk politics) and ages range from 61(me) to 75. I know of 5 (I have a very small social circle) people who are at risk. This is how people need to think about this.
    And hope it does not come back in the fall like it did in 1918.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My understanding is that a rules change is required for this.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I like my semi-adopted country. But if the government guarantees people a week's pay if people stay home from work, the self-estimated infection rate in Britain will be 98%.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

This is another worthwhile read with a clear bifurcation of outcomes (both in growth and fatality rates) for the countries that begin social distancing early vs. those that don't--all well-illustrated graphically. The US is still very far behind the curve on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted