1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

You're the god damn President.

Surely there's some tangible action you can take other than, "I'll send out an all caps tweet!"

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd give him the same advice I give his defenders.

Log off. Seek help.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

and Lordstown was sold, so doesn't belong to GM.

Panicked supergenius.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As usual, he's as transparent as a ghost. He is waking up to the fact that within 2 weeks, more states are going to be like New York, and governors are going to be complaining about the shortages of ventilators. They are going to be making rationing choices, essentially deciding who lives and who dies.

He thinks he can set up GM to be the reason, because he knows the fingers are going to be pointed at him.

I know this defense production act has taken on mythical qualities for people, but honestly it should be unconstitutional, and even given that it isn't, it's not like you can wave a magic wand and make a car company produce tens of thousands of ventilators by next week.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Defense Production Act was enacted to basically codify the practices of WW2, when the government just told auto manufacturers they weren't going to make any cars because we needed tanks, planes, etc. Of course it was much easier to retool the production lines of 80 years ago to make a different motor vehicle than it would be to take today's lines and revamp them for medical equipment. Also of course, the US had much more per capita overall industrial production capacity than it does today.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That Dyson headline is just inaccurate. James Dyson did jump into action and came up with a design for a ventilator in 10 days. ... but they are not producing ventilators yet. First, they need regulatory approval, which you have to assume will be expedited. But then it is going to be weeks before they can actually have any ready. The stories yesterday made it sound like they were rolling off an assembly line. By the time they actually are, the number of cases in the UK will likely have peaked and be declining.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A low-cost, easy to make ventilator is going to be important going forward. This whole thing will last a while, and then maybe return in waves. Especially with our current 'leadership.'

One hopes they can expedite production in the UK by deregulating, which is of course a political process.

Or maybe leadership can just all-caps panic-tweet.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hey the sending out of the all-caps tweet was key in the process, as I'm certain the Vice President is eager to remind you.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The School of Mimes is making six-foot transparent hospital rooms for patients unable to speak. Except the doctors and nurses seem to have issues finding the door.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Mom is good. Sore but good.

My mom is the same as you: not much above 5 feet if at all but a mouth for every inch of her. Not much for voodoo curses but definitely has some friends

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted