1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's assume a somewhere between realistic and pessimistic scenario in which organized spectator sports can't really get going until October 1. Even then, I think a lot of fans will still be social distancing themselves from the notion of sitting in a crowded stadium or arena. I wouldn't go to a Pats game for two free seats on the 50.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One story I read said that as we go back to "normal," officials will have a hair trigger on ordering shelter in place if cases begin to pop up again. So we might reopen things in June, only to be shut down again in September for two weeks, then again in November, etc.

I also saw somebody who predicted we will have lockdowns for the holidays, because it will flare back up then and officials won't want it to spread via department store Santas, Black Friday sales and holiday parties.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The NFL experience is so bad, there are about 20 reasons I wouldn't go to a game in person.

Coronavirus ranks about 14th.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Easy to say now that Tom Brady is gone!!!

:)

OscarMadison and Michael_ Gee like this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pitt fans have been practicing social distancing since Jackie Sherrill fled for Texas Ass ta Mouf.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

College football was having attendance issues last season, when the virus wasn't born yet. Whenever it starts, it will be 100 times worse this season.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking about how the Internet and the ever rapid news cycle have conditioned us to the "outrage of the day" type thing and then we move on to the next "daily outrage" - maybe two or three more - before the week is out. Maybe its just among news junkies, but our national - probably international as well - attention span is so limited, and we get bored easily, consuming content, wanting more, the next thing etc. I honestly wonder how people will deal with a third and fourth week of the same story dominating things. Will it be tuned out? Find some other way to be outraged (people are getting creative with their outrage on social media)? Become less outraged and less likely to hyperfocus on the slightest misstep by a celebrity, badly conceived tweet, or hot new meme? It's interesting to ponder. We're so accustomed to something else coming along - like life is a conveyor belt. We want drama, we want movement, winners and losers. As effective as the lockdown orders are - its going to be much harder to ease it. Everyone WANTS to get back to normal as quickly as possible. This episode is like that crack that starts forming in your windshield and just irritates you more everyday until you replace it so you don't have to think about it any more.

maumann likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe the NFL starts up some time this fall, but I can't imagine they will allow or get full crowds. That leads to another issue. What do you do with fans who paid for a PSL and/or season tickets? Do they get refunds? Do teams try to force them to buy the tickets for 2020 or risk losing their place in the future? Like many things going on right now, it is a logistical mess waiting to happen.

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

This is why Tiger Mothers are necessary.

See also: Ken Jeong

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've seen worse drunks at Panthers games than NASCAR races.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

But this time the Big10/Big12/PAC12/Notre Dame fans will have an excuse for none of their teams winning a CFP semifinal (0-9 the last 5 years).

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I still think MLB is suited to playing sooner rather than later with precautions.
    Scrap your traditional setup.
    Play divisional games only in empty stadiums. Put them on TV. Cut travel to the bare minimum. Trim the rosters a bit.
    Give people something to see.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted