1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This could happen if we fuck up bigly, but it's not set in stone. Italy's curve is flattening, and their situation is horrendous to an extent Americans can't imagine.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's my fear. It's already been fucked up. I know we need to wait a week to 10 days to see the numbers, to see if these measures are working. But I said earlier in the week, people aren't seeing them as we are in the middle of these mass reductions and still aren't taking this shit seriously.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yep. It's flattening and they still had more than 700 deaths yesterday and more than 900 today. The U.S. has had four straight days with 200 plus and today will probably be the first 300 plus day. When you say we're two weeks behind Italy -- Italy had its first 300-plus day 11 days ago -- in a week we're going to have those 700-plus days show up and with our overall cases and so many places being slow to try and flatten the curve I think it's very realistic that we will start to see 1,000-plus days. It's almost unfathomable but it could be reality soon. So based on Italy, even with a flattening curve, we have many terrible days left. And if it spreads fast to the areas that haven't been as active, look out.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think we know who the SEC will pick.

5. tapintoamerica

University of Washington estimates released today have late April as the height of the crisis — contrary to SEC media clowns who think it will peak today or tomorrow— with the last deaths on Aug. 4. That is the mean prediction and it is based on social distancing. Worst case scenarios are obviously later on the calendar.
    Given what we have seen from several SEC state governors, I’d say the average prediction for Mississippi and Alabama and Florida might be optimistic.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Johns Hopkins has U.S. over 100,000 cases right now. That means in 2 weeks we'll be over 3 million cases. In 4 weeks, 94 million cases.

In five weeks, which is May 1 by the way, every American will mathematically have corona if the virus runs unabated. That is the ultimate spike. Where the curve actually flattens nationwide can be easily deduced, sometime in the last week of April. Some areas slow to get it (and react to it) will linger longer.

maumann likes this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

SEC: "Washington went 8-5 last season. We don't care what they think, y'all."

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What I would be curious to see is if any of the predictions from a month/6 weeks ago (most of which were quite dire) have been proven false yet. I fear not. If anything, they are proving to be too low.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I started doing the math on the calculator on my phone a week and a half ago just using a 33% daily increase. Nothing has changed. The only question is, where does it peak.

For instance, my home county (pop. 200K) has 10 cases right now. In four weeks that works out to a quarter of the county being infected.

Will shuttering schools and restaurants and sporting events be enough? Grocery stores remain open and soon will be positively teeming with COVID, so I fear not.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. tapintoamerica

Draft saved Draft deleted