1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My big fear is that ours is as bad or worse but we just don't know it yet.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We don't know anything. We're a huge country with not enough information and a federal government, our information clearinghouse, who may well be suppressing much of it.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know that. That's why I said it was my great fear instead of "It's coming. Put your affairs in order."

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This is true, but some of that big country stuff is reason to start fearing. The cases have absolutely crushed Italy because of our size and at least a little bit of ramping up in terms of testing. One thing that's remained slower or similar in numbers is the death rate. Either we're going to be really lucky in that regard or it's going to start catching up in some ways to the case numbers. The last few days show we're starting to match Italy if looking at that two weeks behind thing. If anything we're going a bit faster. Italy had its first 200 death day exactly two weeks ago today. We're on our fourth-straight day of that. We might surpass 400 or get really close today. Italy went over 400 for the first time nine days ago, although by a lot it was closer to 500. But looking at a comparison with a much larger number of cases, especially ramping up in the last few days, I fear the death numbers are going to be nasty pretty soon.

6. Michael_ Gee

They will be terrible. But we do have over five times the population of Italy.

7. Roscablo

I know, and that's the scary thing, right? Because Italy has been hammered. If the deaths start catching up to the cases people are going to be floored. Even if they heard the reasoning from experts. Many people really didn't think it was going to happen. Again, maybe we'll get lucky and that death rate will stay low.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Lower maybe, not low.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

On the bright side, the situation in Italy is improving. The Seattle hot spot has quieted.

10. Roscablo

Italy had more than 900 die today. The most in a day, despite a flattening curve. Scary stuff.

11. Roscablo

Yes. But Italy's death rate is almost 10 percent whereas the U.S.'s right now is 1.6. So if it stays at 1.6 that's where maybe we luck out, even though it is still very awful.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I did not know that. Sorry for the misinformation. I took a day off from the news for my own mental well-being.

Italy's tourism in the winter months is going to be a big determinant in their study of this, I feel.

Draft saved Draft deleted