1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Thanks. So many unknowns here. The president of our reunion organizing committee has been working on this for more than 4 years. She is is pulling out her hair (extensions).

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Like Gee said, nothing specific to August, but the fear is we get lulled into a sense of false security and the virus kicks back up when everyone starts gathering again. Saw a couple of news stories of this happening in China. This also happened during the Spanish Flu. Everyone thought by August 1918 it had run its course, but it reared back up a couple months later.

ChrisLong likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think by COVID-20 (what this fall's version will be called) I suspect we'll have reached a new norm, and that's the expectation that some of us will get it and if so, a vast majority will survive so we'll just have to move on to resuming a somewhat normal life, despite the ongoing threat of catching a deadly disease. We'll be living the equivalent of life in the Arctic in winter...you know if you go out, there's an increased albeit still slight chance you may die, so you'll take your chances.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No offense, but spending four years on high school reunion prep could be an indicator that you don't have much to live for.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I sort of wonder if it will go away at all. It might not be as severely spread, but I'm not sure it will disappear. I've gotten colds in the summer. I'm sure we all have. This isn't a flu, which does pretty much go away. Looking at it starting to pop up pretty good in the southern hemisphere, although it is early fall there now, makes me wonder. I think we have to hope we peak here in the next month or so, it starts to slide where we can be very diligent about easing back into normal activities and then keep an eye on it as it does get worse again in the fall and winter. Maybe by then it doesn't have quite the same impact. As with all of it there is just tons of wait and see.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think you're absolutely right about it not going away but I'm hopeful for two things
    1) We develop effective medical ways to battle the virus
    A) treatments to quell the death rate
    B) a vaccine to prevent infection
    C) more available testing to get treatment sooner and get infections out of the general population
    2) a developed immunity that will mean less risk for the population at large
    Since this is "novel" our bodies don't know how to effectively fight it just yet. That doesn't mean "chicken pox parties" but over time our body does know enough to fight this so it is more like the flu than Captain Trips.​

Roscablo likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t know enough about medicine and science for this not to sound like a dumb question but...once it’s fully set up, given its size, is it possible the Javits Center has a lower death rate than overrun hospitals?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since the new hospital means more virus cases get treatment than before, and maybe less critical cases can be hospitalized, it's reasonable to expect that might happen. Then again, it's like when they open a new freeway and it immediately becomes as traffic-clogged as the old ones. The new hospital also might not be able to keep up with the total case load as it increases as it will for the next two weeks.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Javits Center center isn't getting coronavirus patients. It's getting non-corona patients to free up space in standard hospitals.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Now I know this is serious

garrow likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seattle is creating a similar temporary hospital at the Seahawks' stadium, as is Sacramento at the Kings' old home, Sleep Train Arena.

Draft saved Draft deleted