1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

FATUS killing off/quarantine mostly black/brown urban pop. to shore up red counties come November. Per capita infection in Mich. greater than NYC, and cases clusterd in SE counties.

You heard it here first.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So you're telling me Sacramento is going to the mattresses ...

... I'll show myself out ...

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As we know from hard experience here in Mass., the virus doesn't work that way. Started here just with the Biogen conference cluster. Now everywhere. There are cases in Provincetown, about as isolated a place in the winter as can be imagined.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The 1918 flu started much the way this one has, then it quieted down a good bit over the summer. Come the fall it rebounded. Most of the deaths it caused were in the fall. As to August, I think the only credible answer at this point is "Who knows?".

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

6. Neutral Corner

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Italy with more than 10,000 deaths.

9. Neutral Corner

How Trump's Rosy Plans Could Take Us Over a Cliff

"As soon as you lift the restrictive measures choking the economy, infections immediately spike. If they do, the number of critically ill patients goes up, swamping the healthcare system, which makes up nearly 18 percent of America’s GDP. That also means a lot of people are just plain sick—and too sick to work, to dine out, to shop, or to meaningfully contribute to the economy. It also means that a lot of hospitals, which make a lot of money on, say, elective surgeries, are unable to perform them and losing money. And that means a lot of Americans will not be getting procedures or care that will make them healthier, more productive workers.

Moreover, it would risk sending the economy careening again as new outbreaks would need to be contained using the same draconian measures we’re relying on today. Should that happen, the current economic pain we’re experiencing—all those stock market free falls, all those unemployment claims and all those shuttered businesses—would be for naught, as would the $2 trillion we’re about to pump into the economy to keep it alive. Having nullified whatever epidemiological gains we’ve made in the last two painful weeks, we just have to do it all over again.

Trump’s predicament is understandable. A tanking economy threatens his reelection, and he needs a way to get through this crisis while convincing enough Americans that he did a great job. But on this, the science and the history offer one compelling lesson: this is not the time for optimism. Plan on the worst-case scenario being the most likely scenario—and cheer only when you’re firmly on the other side."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's something I'm wondering about. My son and his fiancee went to visit her Mom over Christmas. Mom lives in Maui. They were in Hawaii for over two weeks, island hopped a bit and were in several airports, including LAX and Honolulu. Came back shortly before New Year's. Around mid-January they both got REAL sick with what they thought was the flu. My son went to the doctor twice with respiratory issues. They are very healthy people in their mid-30s. So I wonder if they got the virus on their trip but it was not diagnosed because the virus was so new and had yet to officially appear in the US. They would be prime candidates for antibody testing, but of course NYC, where they live, is a long way away from being able to do that.

britwrit likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted