1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado numbers today:

2,061 cases (18.9 percent increase)
    274 hospitalized (14.6 percent increase)
    Percentage of hospitalized at 13.3 percent
    Number of tests at 13,276 (plus 1,600)
    Percentage of those tested who came back positive at 15.5 percent
    44 deaths (plus 13)
    10 outbreaks at residential and non-hospital health care facilities (plus 1)

Some trends based on the figures I have been tracking daily since this nearly broke out.

Cases: Third consecutive days of the number of cases doubling every three days has gone down, albeit slightly. Cases are doubling at just slightly more than every three days.
    Hospitalized: Second day in the past three where the number of hospitalizations has gone down from the previous day. The rate of doubling of hospitalizations was just at less than two days earlier this week. We're back to the number doubling to less than three days (274 today, 147 on March 25)
    Number of tests: Another encouraging number. In the past three days, there have been 5,212 tests, or 39 percent of all tests conducted in the state.
    Deaths: The largest one-day jump since this began, up 13. The previous one-day jump was nine, on Wednesday. Despite that, the rate of doubling has slowed to just under three days. The one-week daily number of deaths reported has been: 5, 7, 11, 20, 24, 31, 44. I mentioned yesterday the deaths most certainly would go up, and they certainly have.

I'm encouraged by the number of tests being done. The rate at which cases are doubling as well as the number of hospitalizations seems to be settling (hopefully), even with the increased number of tests. But I still expect deaths to continue to go up.

Shelbyville Manhattan likes this.
  3. MileHigh

Scary, and hopefully everyone has recovered. First reported case in Colorado was early March, and he was from out of state. But we had zero grasp on this thing in mid-February. You might be right, that it wasn't the virus. But nearly six weeks later, it's hard to not wonder if it was. Be well.

Roscablo likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That song goes back to the 1929 Depression.

My favorite version, and yeah, it's kinda long. Skip to 1:00 or so.
    Ry Cooder is a freakin' treasure.

Webster likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. MileHigh

Johns Hopkins: More than 2,000 dead in U.S.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

what I liked about Bruce’s version was that it was part of an album which grew out of Bruce being asked to contribute to Pete Seeger tribute album and he wrote something which honored Pete’s style of taking an old song and writing new lyrics which stayed true to the underlying spirit of the song

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hey weird - why is the boss calling on a Saturday?

"Hey Justin - remember when you came in on Wednesday for three hours? Well someone you interacted with is getting tested today for the virus."

Oh. Great.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not about crossing our fingers and hoping, though I don't think anybody has truly definitive answers at this point.

Your premise assumes things finally turn for the better and we try to return to normal before September, but let's go with that. If we do this right, there are reasons to think the impact might not be as bad in the fall. We have months to focus on making much-needed medical supplies and find support for the medical personnel who have to be on the front lines of this. That is also time to improve testing and treatment while continuing the search for a vaccine. One of the biggest problems with that thinking is we can't trust President Trump and his administration to do anything right.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Still a quarter of the day left and at least 500 died today

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I was just talking about this with my wife, it still seems in general this is being minimized in this country (look at that Florida picture!). Maybe it I look at too much toxic social media or pay too much attention to dumb political comments, but it really feels like it still isn't being taking seriously. I feel like when the deaths started climbing in Italy two weeks ago people noticed, at least some, and were like, man, that's terrible. Well, now we're Italy two weeks ago. Probably worse. Deaths are still increasing more than double every three days, today is will be our second 400-plus day and the deadliest so far and it just doesn't seem like it's sinking in. When will it? Or am I wrong?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted