1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

62C6FB24-2610-4FDF-9D24-DDA8F9727194.jpeg

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jonesboro, Ark., was hit by a sizable tornado today. Given tornado season is ramping up, I wonder what the CDC suggests people who need to use public tornado shelters do? Risk the tornado by maintaining social distancing or shelter and risk Covid?

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The CDC has denied it but with everything else who knows what the real story is.

4. Inky_Wretch

5. heyabbott

I’ll say to the people of Arkansas what they have been saying to the people of New York and California. Fuck you, too.

6. heyabbott

James Dolan positive for virus.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That news right there is enough to create the possibility of a mass celebratory gathering in violation of every protective order in the Tri-State area.
    Knicks fans have begun praying.

8. Inky_Wretch

What Arkies have been saying that?

Liut likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I too felt the need to get out of town so I drove over to the Eastern Shore of Virginia, which I had never visited in my 30-plus years of living here. Neat drive, and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel from VB to the shore is a damn marvel. I did get out of the car to walk on the beach at Cape Charles, but there were very few people there. Still, it was nice to get out and about for an afternoon just to get the hell away from the house.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's been going around all day. I've seen it debunked, with in theory a CDC statement to come soon. I really don't know quite what to believe other than the facts as I know them.

You can home sew a mask. There are patterns on the web. Make it with a pouch for filter media and it does provide some degree of protection. You can use toilet paper, paper towels, whatever. The gold standard is to buy a high end 3M furnace filter, cut the wires, and cut the filter media to size. Get one of those thick plastic coated paper clips and slip it into the edge of the mask over the nose, bend it to fit snug. Cloth masks are pretty good at preventing spread if the wearer coughs. As protection, they're maybe 60% as good as a surgical mask and nowhere near an N95. All that said, having one of these, especially if it is well made and fitted with an effort made on the filter, is damn sure better than nothing or a bandanna.

I saw a quote from a doctor today. "Masks work. That's why we wear them."

There's quite a little colony of crafty women here who are making them and donating to various clinics. No, the hospitals don't want them, but they're the ones who have actual masks. If you don't have a couple of boxes sitting around I think they're well worth it.

Put it another way. Mrs. Neutral's setting up the sewing machine tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

It wasn’t the noise that made NJ cops shut down ‘Corona Party’ that brought warning from state’s governor

Police in Ewing Township, N.J. shut down a jam-packed soiree on Friday night, and charged its host with violating N.J. Gov. Phil Murphy’s order canceling “parties, celebrations, or other social events.”

Wade E. Jackson, 47, even had a DJ at the party in his tiny 550-square foot apartment, which was attended by 47 people.

Police summonsed Jackson for obstruction of administration of law and violation of emergency and temporary acts — namely, Murphy’s order.

12. Neutral Corner

We're #1!!!

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted