1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ron Johnson most assuredly does not and never has.

Gutter likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think there's a nuanced conversation to be had on the argument of extreme social/physical distancing and the crippling effect it's having on the economy and whether this will all be worth it. But to your point, claiming everything is one big meanie conspiracy by the dummycrats to get their lord and savior ain't the one.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Speaking as a 70-year old with a pre-existing condition (mild hypertension, there aren't a lot of 70-year olds without some kind of condition) I sure as fuck think it's worth it.

maumann likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I do as well. But I could at least hear the other side of it as long as it's rooted in something other than the same right-wing bullshit.

6. Michael_ Gee

Every economist I've seen has said the damage from prematurely ending the physical distancing policies would greatly exceed the economic damage from keeping them on as long as deemed necessary, and that the best method for ending them is a kind of staggered start policy.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Preferably after we have Coronavirus antibody testing in quantity. People who have been exposed and have manufactured antibodies going back to work is fine, good, desirable. Telling everyone "Ok, fire drill is over, get back to your desks" too early is a recipe for a societal relapse.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We have more deaths than China "officially" has now. Who knows what it means since theirs are probably fudged pretty good, but it does show how fast ours are rising.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The one Owens, Mark Levin and Diamond and Silk are pushing today is that deaths by heart attack, suicide and homicide are being counted as Covid-19 deaths if the body tests positive.

Is that really as stupid as it sounds?

10. Michael_ Gee

I kind of doubt that coroners are testing gunshot wound fatalities for post-mortem Coronavirus. Yeah, it's just that stupid.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I actually would think it is more common that it is the other way around. That numbers are lower because people die without ever being tested or even getting treatment in time and they mark it down as something else. As is common, the reporting is all over the place with this so who really knows, but I don't think there is some conspiracy to make the numbers higher or lower. I think it's just a cluster and this is the first time most of us have dealt with anything like this and have been able to track it in real time. But there is no way the numbers are effing higher than the should be. None.

maumann and Smallpotatoes like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We know damn well how few Corona tests have been administered over the last month. There absolutely are deaths attributed to pneumonia or cardiopulmonary failure that are Covid related. I doubt we'll ever get a handle on how many, especially since the Red States seem determined to keep a lid on the stats.

Roscablo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted