1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado numbers today:

2,966 cases (12.9 percent increase)
    509 hospitalized (22.9 percent increase)
    Percentage of hospitalized at 17.2 percent (up from 15.8 percent)
    Number of tests at 16,849 (plus 1,485)
    Percentage of those tested who came back positive at 17.6 percent (up from 17 percent)
    69 deaths (plus 18)

Takeaways:
    The number of new cases daily seems to be steadying. Since Thursday, when the state shelter-in-place order took effect, we're at between 304 and 344 new cases a day with an outlier on Sunday of 246. Today was plus 339. The rate of doubling every three days slowed again. We're at just more than four days.
    Hospitalizations on the rise, increasing more than the previous day for three straight days.
    Another solid day of testing. In the past eight days, 63 percent of all tests have been conducted
    No surprise, unfortunately, on the increase of deaths, especially with hospitalizations on the rise. Single-largest day increase since the first one. The rate of doubling slowed a bit, to nearly every four days.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Cover your faces, part of IE (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you've been to Riverside County)

Riverside County health officials are recommending residents cover their nose and mouth when leaving home for essential travel to doctor appointments, grocery shopping or pharmacy visits. The face coverings do not have to be hospital grade but need to cover the nose and mouth. For example, bandanas, fabric masks and neck gaiters are acceptable. Fabric covers and bandanas can be washed and used again.

https://www.rivcoph.org/Portals/0/D...2020-03-31-153911-673&timestamp=1585694356072

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's never been a better time to be a bank robber.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just had to do a round of calls today to find out which kids have computers and internet access. It was good to hear from them except one of my 8th graders asked if we were still doing a promotion ceremony. It isn't out of the realm of possibility considering it would be in mid-June, but I'm not holding my breath. It was a little heartbreaking.

We're facing a couple of issues: My district is a very socio-economically depressed community so families won't have access to the internet even if we give them a computer, some will be too worried about finances or care for younger siblings to worry about class work and we're not making the work worth a grade. I'm not expecting a high completion rate.

I my district is just now getting to online remote learning. We're going to go a week, then have Spring Break, then start up again.

We are still trying to offer services through out, however. We're doing daily food pickup for children. Parents just need to drive up and they'll be given food. This should continue regardless of Spring Break.

As for counseling, we have our social worker and counselor still checking in with students who were already on their radar.

In theory, we're coming back May 4. In theory. Not holding my breath, but it will be so good to have a class full of students again.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Thinking it might be the Dark Lord, then. Okay, I'll hush. I felt mean after posting that. What little interaction I've had with him and his crew was mostly positive.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I just brought home stuff for my better two-thirds to sew masks with. I grabbed a gallon of milk at my local Dollar General yesterday, and the manager and the other guy on the register were both wearing crappy home-made masks. One appeared to be a couple of layers of t-shirt held in place by two pieces of elastic. Once we have ours, she's going to make them a dozen or so. If nothing else it will make me feel good, and maybe it will buy enough goodwill that they'll hold me some hand sanitizer the next time some comes in. There's a Facebook group here that has made and donated 6,100 masks so far.

In related news, I just returned from a grocery run having earned the Coronavirus Scrounger's Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. I found a large can of Lysol spray and not one but two containers of Clorox Bleach wipes. A good day in the trenches.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

So, we got a few of the surgical masks to wear when we go get essential supplies. As a glasses wearer, I haven't found a way to get them to stop fogging up. A few searches told me to fold down the top a bit to redirect my breath. But no luck.

Anyone have tips?

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

She is either rather robust in stature or you are thinner than Twiggy. :D:D

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

God damn, I'm jealous. Lysol spray, a 10-pack of Viva paper towels, and a jug of Dial anti-bacterial hand soap are my holy Trinity of scrounging.
    I've found enough decent hand soap to be satisfied, and found some other paper towels to ensure we don't run out, but the Lysol spray eludes me.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If FLORIDA's death toll is less than seven digits, I'll be stunned. We're really wondering when we should bolt for the cabin in Georgia because this state feels like a dynamite factory just waiting for the drunk holding the lit match.

2muchcoffeeman and MileHigh like this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Since it’s PBS I don’t know if it’s on everywhere or just here but an American Experience on the 1918 flu pandemic starts at 8

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

But haven’t you heard Florida’s doing a great job. Gov. DeSantis got way ahead of this thing.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted