1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know it doesn't make up for the absence, but I hope that photos and Facetime can at least help a little.

I have a lesser version of that feeling coming soon enough. My younger brother's wife is due with their second child, who will be delivered by C-section next week. This isn't a grandchild, but most of our family is gone. He's my half-brother. Our father died 20 years ago. His mother is a disaster and they don't speak. Our only other sibling, our older brother, died this past September. I was actually the one who had to call my younger brother and tell him. What I didn't know was that he had just found out his wife was pregnant again and they weren't ready to tell people yet.

We are both lucky enough to have amazing in-laws, but that's not quite the same. Not being able to be there for them and meet the little one for a while truly sucks.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Congrats to @Moderator1 and @outofplace I hope we're seeing the generation that will fix the mess we've made things.

Neutral Corner and outofplace like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As long as I don’t have to give them credit-card info, I’ll do it. SXM is the worst company to try to cancel with. The last time I had their service, I had to explain to them repeatedly that the receiver had completely died because they kept trying to convince me to keep the service anyway.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not much for prayer, but I'll put that aside for the new little ones with my father's favorite saying. From your lips to G-d's ear.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Granddaughter No. 3 arrived today at 11:30, got the text while I was walking. She's incredible as are her folks and everyone is healthy. So I'm trying to wrap my arms around that and not worry about the delay in meeting her. Hopefully soon. #girlgranddadx3

Slacker, HC, Huggy and 19 others like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

mazel tov!

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've thought about this quite a bit lately. This post comes after I see on FB that a very good friend's Mom, 97, had a heart attack and is in ICU. My friend cannot go to see her Mom, unless they determine that she has about reached the end.
    My daughter is 28, and she is very worried about Covid-19. I am 68 and she has forbid me from leaving the house. She is living through this. A few years ago when she was in college, there were almost weekly campus shooting. This is the world we live in.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Congrats Moddy!

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

May I add my congratulations as well, Moddy.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Moddy!

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Congrats Moddy! I'm sorry about your inability to be there personally, but look at the long run, you'll be there for her for a long time.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a lifelong allergy sufferer, and every spring I'm completely clogged up and about a half-step from a cold. Been that way for so long that I don't even think about it, but that's also to say I'm not in my 20s or 30s anymore. So my wife set me straight that playing golf, which was going to be my main source of sanity during stay-at-home weeks, isn't a good idea even with courses having plenty of provisions for social distancing. Sigh. Now I wish all the courses would close so I won't have to listen to my friends' stories.

Deskgrunt50 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted