1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new addition. I can't imagine how stressful hospitals are these days, but I'm glad they are still places where people can find pockets of joy.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Meanwhile my town has today officially shut every public space down. Beach? Closed. Park? Closed. Public sidewalks? Closed. Parking lots? Closed. Public restrooms? Closed. Everything. With a 48 grace period followed by aggressive police enforcement.

Trust me, this sort of thing is coming to your neck of the woods soon. Just another California trend heading your way.

4. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

My concern is minor compared to most anyone else's, but I hope that when a total lockdown comes here we get a 48-hour grace period too. I had been training (alone) for a half marathon at the end of this month and expected to reach a goal that I've been close to for three years. A few weeks ago I realized the race wasn't going to happen & changed my workouts to aim for a mile time trial with a friend on a usually-empty high school track on the same day. (He's a bit faster than me, so we would be appropriately socially distanced during the run.) I'm a few days away from being ready to race, as I need to recover from my last hard workout, but if we get a lockdown and a 48-hour grace period, I'll at least try anyway, as long as nobody else is on the track.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting anything like that here, but just in case, I mapped out the perimeter of our lot on my Garmin. A 0.04-mile lap will get get awfully boring, but part of me thinks it would be kind of cool to run a 5K on that "course."

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

3-mile run
    2-mile dog walk
    chiropractor appointment
    grocery shopping
    mulch shopping
    oil change
    bank visit

OK, I'll shelter at home for rest of the day.***

***other than one more dog walk

7. TigerVols

So why wouldn't you get it there? Are your neighbors less valuable than mine? Does the virus only attack certain ZIP codes?

I'm not attacking you, Inky, but it's governmental leaders around the nation like apparently yours who are dragging their feet and as a result are going to cause this pandemic to roll on for months.

8. TigerVols

NC COVID-19 data:
    Cases: 1584
    Deaths: 10
    Hospitalized: 204

Let's see how well your post ages. I hope very well, for your sake and your neighbors.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Dude, it's Arkansas. The Governor isn't going to hit the "shelter in place" button statewide until things get really bad. We just hit 10 deaths. Not every county has a positive test yet. And even when he does, it won't be as severe as other states. It'll be "shelter in place unless you're walking the dog, hunting or fishing."

But you're right, it will drag things out longer.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. TigerVols

Right.

And as a result, the infections and deaths in Arky will outpace elsewhere. But at least the deers won't be destroying Mabel's flower garden.

12. Inky_Wretch

Speaking of staying home, this is an interesting look at which states are doing it and which aren't - via cell phone data information.

Covid-19 Social Distancing Scoreboard — Unacast

I do wonder how much rural states are penalized by, say, ranchers checking cattle or farmers planting crops. They can't stay home and often have ground many miles from their home.

Draft saved Draft deleted