1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't know where these numbers are coming from but three trackers I look at all had the U.S. above 4,000 deaths last night, including Johns Hopkins, and the only state without a death is Wyoming.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I get the desire for accountability -- it's vanishingly rare these days. We must take care, though, that this desire doesn't create even bigger problems. Despite this administration's many extravagant assertions of executive privilege, one area the president actually does have immunity is in the performance of their job duties. (See: PRESIDENTIAL IMMUNITY FROM JUDICIAL DIRECTION) What's more, we should want it that way. The alternative is setting a precedent that allows the likes of Larry Klayman, Devin Nunes, and Alex Jones to file thousands of lawsuits challenging every decision of the next Democratic president -- in a legal landscape led by the Roberts court and with hundreds of federal bench jobs filled by Trump appointees, let's not forget.

As for Congress, any suit would have to get around the Westfall Act, which "accords federal employees absolute immunity from tort claims arising out of acts undertaken in the course of their official duties". (Immunity of federal employees from suit (Westfall Act Immunity) - Osborn v. Haley, 549 U.S. 225 (2007)) Unfortunately, unless we want to hand the current incarnation of the Republican Party even bigger weapons with which to thwart all attempts at more progressive legislation, the best option appears to be voting the King in Orange and all his enablers out of office and making sure they stay there.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Party like there's no tomorrow

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Jesus, the upper Buffalo is gorgeous. Cliff jumping highly recommended.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Meanwhile in corona sports

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It would have to be a DIY float trip anyway. Most of the outfitters on the river are closed due to COVID-19.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The husband of a teacher at my oldest's high school died from this yesterday. He was only 45. We didn't have any connections and my oldest hadn't had this teacher yet, but still the closest to home so far.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Welp that didn't take long for me to eat my words

California schools will not reopen this academic year, will use distance learning

Draft saved Draft deleted