1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I thought we were going to be experiencing an American resurrection on Easter Sunday. Trump's economy would be back and ready to kick into high gear again. So confusing.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Massachusetts is like third in testing rates and was one of the fastest to institute social distancing rules (although somewhat gradually, but basically starting like March 12) behind Washington state and New York. The estimate of the surge for us is April 7-17. So Mile High, I think your hope is optimistic, although I sure hope you're right.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Sorry I wasn’t clear. Our gov also made churches an exception from the prohibition for large group gatherings.

He also had two effective dates in the document.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not encouraged with today's modeling shifting things. Look, NO ONE knows when this will end. But it *will* end. How things look on the other end? It's not going to be looking like January 15.

Roscablo likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh. Well, this is just perfect.

Between stay-at-home orders, threats of fines for surfing and the off chance of getting shot at (if you happen to live in Costa Rica), there are plenty of reasons to steer clear of the beach right now. But if the sum total of those is somehow still not enough to keep you from paddling out, consider this: coastal breezes don’t care about our social distancing protocols and can carry the COVID-19 virus distances greater than 6 feet.

That’s right, according to UC San Diego atmospheric scientist Kim Prather, who studies how viruses and bacteria can be transmitted in the ocean, your 6-foot safety bubble is burst when you enter a breezy environment, as the ocean and beaches frequently are.​

Coastal Breeze Can Carry COVID-19 More Than 6 Feet, Says Virus Expert — Surfer Magazine

The getting-shot-at thing … yeah, that happened.

6. Michael_ Gee

As far as the modeling goes, this was always going to be the horror time. Go back three weeks (effective time of mitigation measures). The NBA had just announced its shutdown, which IMO sparked the real shift into crisis mode here. Massachusetts effectively shut down by school closings a day or so later, but not really. Took another day or two to cancel the stupid St. Patrick's Day parade. My personal timetable is that we went into hibernation around the 14th. So just now I am exiting the pre-shutdown danger mode (and of course I've been to the supermarket, drugstore and last but not least liquor store since then, albeit with precautions). By the end of the month, if what the vast majority of people are doing is still going on, we will theoretically see much improvement. If we don't, well, boys, it's been good to know ya.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's all over the place. Sunday for example went down across the board and some people though, maybe it's getting better? Then bam.

8. Michael_ Gee

Did they even take tests, counts on Sunday? If not, it's a two-day total.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Well, even though the numbers were down, there were still more than 360 deaths and almost 20,000 cases reported. There was definitely a Sunday lag, so to speak, but it never added up to a two-day total anywhere. Regardless, the numbers suck.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Anybody else see this?

[​IMG]

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I took a walk today and didn't walk directly behind other pedestrians moving in the same direction, even 20 feet behind. But that's just me.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sure. This sounds like something out of the Q cult and looks like something I could make in Pages on my phone.

SFIND and Fred siegle like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted