1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

S O M U C H W I N N I N G

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How about let’s just do apples to apples instead of apples to oranges?

Would Biden blatantly lie and say CV19 is a hoax?

See to me lying about whether you were high school president is much different than saying virus is a democratic hoax.

Would he be appointing people who have no business being cabinet members like Rick Perry, DeVos? Or even Mobly as head of Navy? Just blatant grifters with no experience?

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The briefings would be much more informative if Trump would just not show up. Let Pence and the experts handle it.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, we're walking a fine line with promotion right now. The governor is directing people to stay at home. But a lot of our courses are open with limitations in place. As a state association, it's on us to support member clubs, but we don't want to scream PLAY GOLF!!. We're sharing information on who is open and who is not and safe ways to play if you choose to play.

The travel thing is interesting too. Most of the courses in Fairfax County and Prince William County are closed, and all of Maryland's courses are closed. So people are driving out to Loudoun and Fauquier and Stafford to find places to play. Talked to the GM of one of our big daily-fee facilities, and he basically said he is dealing in the facts ... we're open, we're trying to keep everyone safe, etc. He's not running any big promotions or anything like that.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll repeat:

NO customers are allowed in the store. Only 8-10 employees in a store with 96 aisles and a warehouse. Any employee who wants to be taken off the schedule during the pandemic are allowed, with no repercussions.
    Customers place their orders online, drive to the front of the store, call the people inside, flash a photo ID and have their orders placed in their trunks.

WHOSE lives are in danger here? Let people try to conduct a little business, for crying out loud.

No, he'd just lie about some threat or intention halfway around the world to topple a government and destabilize a region. Nothing serious.

And for the 23,000th time, Trump did not call "CV19" a hoax. He called democrats' criticism of his administration's handling of it a hoax. That's kind of important for someone using apples and oranges as his metric.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So ... buy gold?

And get out of money market accounts?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I understand wanting a haircut - Lord I do - but my needing a haircut is not more important than your Aunt Bertha surviving 2020.

This is the essential Republican glitch: their time/their needs are more pressing than anyone else's.

Tweener, OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Staying alive sounds like a sound basis for beginning to fix things.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It does.

But as I mentioned last week, former colleague of mine died of a heart attack. Wife was not allowed in the ambulance because of COVID-19 fears.

There's "staying alive," and there's human decency. There are lots of ways to "stay alive" . . . and not live.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

What have you got to lose? Take it.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Or farmland. Or (borrowing from Jim Rogers) maybe looking ahead, you will want to own the Lamborghini dealership near where all the farmland is.

The gold is easier to stash, though, so maybe it makes some sense. :)

Seriously, I am not buying more gold at the moment. But I already own way more than I ever imagined I'd accumulate. I converted a lot of savings to physical gold over the last 12 years -- I started the day that the Bush administration announced TARP, and then with each central bank debt monetization scheme. ... I saw no reason to put my savings back into any fiat currencies. I wish I had begun doing it earlier seeing how much value every fiat currency has lost during that time in real terms, although I didn't have the same amount of savings to do it with anyhow -- I hit my earnings stride during that time period.

The problem if you want to buy physical gold right now in any serious amount. ... is where to find it. There is a serious shortage. You have this interesting phenomenon right now where the spot price is trading at a massive discount to the futures price. That kind of contango does usually mean that there is going to be a big rise in price, but we'll see.

I also look at it a bit differently than people who start thinking about gold at times like this. I am not talking about a trade or a speculative endeavor of some sort. The value of the gold isn't going up. It just retains more value than other things. The reality is that the currency you are pricing the gold in is being devalued so blatantly, so it takes more of those dollars (or euros or yen or whatever your fiat currency of choice is) to buy the gold. It's a big distinction. If you are speculating that way, you need to accept that all those dollars you are earning are worth less than they were. Same as if you were speculating in some tech company stock and saw the price of the stock rise on the back of the dollar being destroyed (which it has been).

If you keep some or all of your savings in bullion, though. ... and the gold retains more value than the currency you bought it with, which is being destroyed, what you got yourself is a better store of value than a bank account holding the currency would have given.

TigerVols likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hillary didn't call all of Trump's supporters "deplorable" either but we all know how these things metastasize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.