1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But if Trump makes it harder to get a test, as he seems intent on doing, the numbers of positive tests will decline and his klan will claim the brilliant leader has flattened the curve in heroic fashion.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm completely perplexed by the testing philosophy. It's always been dumb, but I suppose at least you could read into it the lack of prep. But why shut it down now or make it more difficult now? When it is one of the keys to opening society back up? Is it the cost? Is it something like this, holding down numbers?

If it's the latter that just makes less sense. Why? Because the key number is deaths. You can flatten and lower the curve on cases all you want, but the death curve is the one you want to go down. Right now it's still going up by a long shot and even though the past few days have sucked, it's likely going to get worse. What does it peak at, 3,000 a day? And then when it peaks how long does it stay there? If it plateaus, where is it at? 2,000 a day? 1,000 a day? How long? I mean, if we have a good stretch of 2,000 a day the death toll goes up really quickly and is absolutely horrific (not that it isn't now). Then if cases are lower, that just makes the death rate worse, which if anything looks terrible.

People have started talking about Italy's leveling off, but 600 a day are still dying there. That's still not good. We have been worse than Italy, if anything because of being bigger.

Deaths, the plateau and death rate are the keys and they can't control those. So why the philosophy on tests, which is one way we can hopefully start to try and get ahead of this and lower everything else? I guess it's a false way to open things back up, but as we discussed earlier that's not happening anyway if people are scared, and they'll be scared if they don't know where it is and a ton of people are still dying.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Simple. If people aren't tested the numbers go down. If people die, they died of something else.

Fox News is already pushing the narrative that people who died of the coronavirus didn't really die of the coronavirus. Diabetic? It was the diabetes that killed you, not the virus, and we're probably better off without you.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

FATUS is dead man walking, without the infection.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

where are the fucking tests

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

---If I could have a nice outdoor lunch with the wife at Cheesecake Factory on this beautiful day, I'd go.
    ---Had a one-way ticket to Tennessee until the reason for my travel (a car) got quashed. But I'd fly tomorrow if the car was there waiting for me.
    ---Baseball game? No thanks.
    ---Wouldn't be rushing to the mall . . . but would not be afraid to go to one.
    ---And even though it's not on the list, I'd go to any haircut place that was open.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is exactly why President Trump is backing off on testing. It is why he was talking about how it would be nice to have more comprehensive testing in place before things "re-open," but not necessary. Of course, the opposite is true. It's the thing we need most before trying to return to normal, but it's also the thing that would slow us down. If we got to the point that testing was at the level it should be, the number of positive tests would skyrocket. The lack of testing from the beginning and the fact that we still don't have a good system in place is arguably the most damaging of President Trump's many failures during this pandemic. The other one is the lack of supplies and personnel, which could have been addressed sooner.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

except for all the deaths, it's going great

Draft saved Draft deleted