1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Don't know which numbers you look at but this site says we've passed 2,000 for today.

US Historical Data

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. I've said for about 10 days, two weeks that the target day to re-evaluate everything is May 1, which is three weeks from today.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, another one I've seen is at 2,037 and it slows down a lot by this time of day but usually adds some more throughout the night. Pretty crappy. I remember a few weeks ago thinking how floored we'd be when we got to 1,000. Maybe I'm being numb to all of it, but it just doesn't seem like it's a big of a deal as it could or should be. And as we discussed earlier today a lot of naysayers and they are saying crap like deaths are attributed to COVID but are really something else. It's just crazy. And it's where we are so far from out of the woods. Numbers like those should scare everyone until May at least.

SFIND and MileHigh like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The number I was afraid of hitting was 3,000 ... a 9/11 every day. I'm hoping we avoid that.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The differences between sources are wild. NYT had the cumulative death total at 16,696 through yesterday. The Covid Tracking Project had it at 16,424. That's not an insignificant difference. And both sources appear to be tracking all territories and possessions.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Differences may result from cutoff times for input of information. NYT is at midnight and COVID Tracking is 4 p.m.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I was going to post something very similar. I'm in Ohio and am hearing similar and seeing it in my pub's Facebook comments. The loudmouth on the Cincinnati AM station was talking similarly.

For fucks sake -- look at NYC and NOLA, dumbasses. Go back to normal soon, that'll be your town in a month.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Watching Jaws on one of the cable channels. Trump = mayor Vaughn.
    “We’ve got to open the country (beach)!”

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The weekend numbers always drop because a lot of the labs are closed, but since it's Easter weekend they may drop significantly. I predict that by Monday's Trump show, the "openers" will be in full bray.

SFIND and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think it's still possible. The first 1,000 day was eight days ago. We'll know early next week if that's where it's headed.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It should be at least that long, but the real problem is we can't trust any of the numbers. We still don't have proper nationwide testing in place. As long as that is the case, much of the data is crap.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Kentucky turning turtle

Draft saved Draft deleted