1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Big couch potato energy

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is simply inaccurate. We’re at an impasse on that one. Yeah. I don’t think it’s even close.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good point. I don’t think he would have. I think he would have heaped praise on Cuomo though

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Agree that anonymous sources are rampant in the news media, not a good thing. But it happens on the other side, too. How many times has the president said, "people are saying ..." or "I was told ..." without revealing which people or who told him.
    I have experienced instances where one person tells you something, and you retell it as "people are saying ..." Probably done it myself to help get a point across.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's go to the microfilm. Let's look at the stories about the Cuban Missile Crisis before JFK's address. Let's look at the stories about Vietnam. Go back, let's look at stories about Cold War diplomacy. We will find anonymous sources. Go back further. Read stories about the Crash of '29. Same thing.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The president absolutely does that.

The media does too much of it, has for a long time now, and it’s really gone into overdrive under Trump because reporters don’t care if they piss him off - it’s a badge of honor, in fact - and so many of the people around him are more than willing to stab him in the back. (Which, given his leadership style, is understandable.)

It didn’t happen nearly as much under Obama for a variety of reasons, including that he engendered more loyalty among his staff.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ooof. If you're Fox News—the network that has constantly shilled for Il Douche—and you've lost the president ... hard times.

garrow likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Mike Gundy, the Mullet of the Great Plains. is more excited than if he had beaten OU. Of course, he can't confirm this because he can't remember the last time he beat OU.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I do not want to talk politics nor have it affect my relationships. I didn't even venture into this thread until a couple of months ago. But it's getting harder to stand back when friends want my journalistic experience to tell them something. And the insanity in the WH now has become almost unbearable.
    The last time I talked with my brother (pro the president) it was the day that TV newsman Peter Alexander asked the softball question: what do you tell the public, the senior citizens, who are scared right now? What do you tell them? And the response was: I'll tell them that you're horrible journalist, etc. etc. etc. This was one of the low points of the entire pandemic. The point is, dignity works both ways. Dignity should come from the news media and it definitely should come from the politicians.
    My brother knows how I feel about the president, because my taxes are fucked up, my health care is fucked up. They were last year, too. He asked how my tax appointment went, and I told him how bad it was and it's all because the president is determined to undo everything the previous president did in terms of the Affordable Care Act. The No. 1 problem in this country (before Covid-19) was health care. He said the old system was horrible, but he has done nothing to make it better. He said a couple of months ago that health care is an issue for his second term. That was bullshit. He used it as a campaign issue last time and has done nothing about it.
    My brother's response was Alexander is from MSNBC and he has been against the president all along. And my brother doesn't know or care about health care because he is a disabled veteran and a 30-year USPS employee so he gets everything covered.

What I will tell him next time we talk, if we get to it (neither of our wives want us to talk politics), is the dignity that is supposed to come from the White House. I have always felt that the championship teams that get invited should go. Everybody. Even if you don't like the man, you go as a sign of respect for the office. But that works both ways. There has to be a level of dignity coming from the president, too.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I forgot Watergate. Almost 100 percent anonymously sourced.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.