1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Everyone is rightfully skeptical of China’s numbers. No way they’re close to correct.

You know what? Our numbers also aren’t close to correct, either. We have no comprehensive testing system. And the federal government has no will to do it.

No testing means the numbers are artificially low.

The Trump administration was woefully unprepared. The response was slow and terrible. And it wants to keep the numbers inaccurately low.

That combination will make this last far longer than it needs to last.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hard to believe a draft-dodging multiply accused rapist pedo pal serial bankruptor Nazi-loving racist bigoted daughter-lusting mob money laundering informant demented would-be tinpot dictator couldn't do even the least little thing right in the middle of the world's worst modern crisis.

Fred siegle likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Put me in the camp of the number being underreported. There have been several stories about how they aren't wasting tests on those who have died to see if they even had coronavirus, let alone if that caused their death. There's at least hundreds of them out there. So the number that gets put out there might be a somewhere in the middle if you want to believe some cases are being counted as COVID deaths. But at worst that "official" number has to be low

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about undercounting. I was talking about overcounting.

The idea that non-Covid-19 deaths are being counted as Covid-19 deaths to either make trump look bad or because there's some financial incentive for hospitals to do that is absurd and it's absurd to even ask that question.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The difference is China knows the real number and is lying about it.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I doubt they have any idea what their number is because they've "encouraged" local medical officials to err on the underside. Considerably. Huge country with terrible air quality and several densely populated cities larger than NYC absolutely has to have more cases than the US.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Florida also knows a real number and is lying about it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Noted. You're right on all counts. I do find much of this kind of stuff interesting, though. And I don't think it's a coincidence that less people/less human influence often means a lot of positives.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

excellent thread here about testing and differing outcomes in Ireland and the UK.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Here’s an example of a possible undercount situation, from a friend who is a medical professional in Florida: Husband and wife (older couple) both came in with symptoms. They tested her and not him, because of a shortage of tests. She was positive. They just assumed he had it and treated him accordingly. Both died within days of each other. She is counted officially as a COVID-19 death. He isn’t, and they’ll never know, because he was never tested. I have to think there’s a greater-than-zero number of instances like this.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted