1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wonder which country in the West has the most ICU beds per capita. I wonder . . .

BTExpress likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The likely undercount here is huge.

The FDNY says it responded to 2,192 cases of deaths at home between March 20th and April 5th, or about 130 a day, an almost 400 percent increase from the same time period last year. (In 2019, there were just 453 cardiac arrest calls where a patient died, according to the FDNY.)

Staggering Surge Of NYers Dying In Their Homes Suggests City Is Undercounting Coronavirus Fatalities

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It’s hard for me to imagine in this day and age we cannot count the dead and say what caused them to die.

But that’s exactly what’s happening.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The entire "did nothing" hypothetical is a non-starter. Even if the governments "did nothing," the people would be (and have been) "doing something." Sports leagues shut down before any stay-at-home orders were issued. People are wearing masks without any mandate to do so.

Even though people can be extremely careless and stupid sometimes, they generally carry with them a high degree of self-preservation. With or without a nanny state.

You want to know EXACTLY what caused everyone to die, you do an autopsy. On every one of the 8,000 Americans who die each day. Or about 11-12 times as many as we currently do. Good luck with that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Did you read the whole story?
    Please correct me if my sequence of events is wrong.
    The law firm filed a case on behalf of their client.
    The state said we want you to drop this case.
    The law firm abandoned its client in favor of the other party's interest.

It seems to me that would grounds for disbarment.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Katrina was 15 years ago, and the death count is still an estimate. Catastrophes are hard on statistics. What evidence we do have indicates an undercount of unknown dimensions is far likelier than an overcount of same, but it's just suggestive, not dispositive.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Excellent stories.

Of course, it assumes the numbers coming from these countries are accurate (I have no problem with them).

But we seem to believe the positive numbers only from nations we "like," dismissing positive numbers from adversaries.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted