1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And also, the states started putting the kibosh on large crowds before general stay at home orders. The NHL may have suspended play March 12, but the Bay Area started putting restrictions on crowds that saw sporting events get postponed before that. But yes, no government intervention what's so ever.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2020/03/10/san-jose-sharks-could-postpone-games-coronavirus

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Who knows what that crazy fucker will do? I sure don't. In part that was a glib answer for a cheap laugh, and in part it was a devout hope that on the day after the election we'll have hope that things will have a chance to return to normal, as opposed to *knowing* that we were screwed for the next four years.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  3. Neutral Corner

And if you have underlying probably fatal disease and come down with Coronavirus which fills your airways with phlegm so thick that oxygen transfer does not work, you were killed by Corona, not by whatever else you had. All your various other ills may have contributed, but you would not have died if your body was still getting enough oxygenated blood.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

I tend to agree. There simply are not enough tests. The population as a whole is badly under tested, so what numbers we have are of dubious accuracy. The shortage of tests in general means that there will be a reluctance to test the dead, because the tests are far more useful on living patients. Add in the nursing home deaths and those who die at home and are never officially diagnosed, who never have Covid-19 in their records, and I think it is reasonable to think that there is undercounting.

Could the lack of tests contribute to overcounting people with serious upper respiratory disease? Yes - but certainly at the hospital level there are enough cases that the staff knows what it looks like by now. You have to get into conspiracy theory to get to a deliberate overcounting scenario.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think it's done as part of a conspiracy. I think it's done out of expedience. This is our standard, no muss, no fuss, ain't got the time or manpower for an autopsy, move on.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Virus deaths are underreported. No legitimate fact gathering organization, journalist or rational civic official reports that deaths are over estimated.

the best that can be said is that the extremist Christian federal government is obfuscating he data or intentionally suppressing he means of collecting true facts.

Official Counts Understate the U.S. Coronavirus Death Toll

7. heyabbott

It’s not a conspiracy, it republican policy.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Medical personnel know for the most part of what people are dying from right now. Look at that NYT graphic yesterday and to a lesser extent numbers that are starting to come out of Florida. What's going to have to happen, and likely will happen, is we are going to have to compare data now with historical data. I would bet the numbers are very different and the only true answer as to why would be COVID. Those who don't want to hear it will say it's all sorts of things, but in the end that's what it is. It will be an estimate, sure, but a solid one. Heck, I keep seeing it's just the flu people use some dumb CDC graphic that shows flu deaths this season of 24,000-64,000 or something like that. I love that that's OK, but "assuming" all these extra deaths that we don't normally see are something else.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

lakefront likes this.
  10. heyabbott

11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted