1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They will be able to purchase supplies as a group, which is a boon to smaller states like Oregon, Delaware and Rhode Island. Also they can co-ordinate reopening schools, businesses, etc. Aside from the purchasing, it's probably going to be more of a long range planning group than anything else.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

386 new cases in Singapore yesterday, third wave seems to be in full effect. Government has announced spot fines for people leaving their homes without a mask -- $300 for first offense, $1,000 for the second, then (presumably) prosecution. It's quite the juxtaposition, seeing Western reports lauding Singapore for its exemplary response while simultaneously hearing so many sphincters puckering on the home front.
    COVID-19: Compulsory to wear mask when leaving the house, says Lawrence Wong

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We were having this academic discussion the other day and try as we might, we couldn't come up with anyone worse in the history of the country. We dove deep into plantation owners, child predators, Nazis, the whole shebang but there is no one who can match Trump's destructive narcissism.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. TigerVols

What it could also lead to is the banning of flights from non-consortium states. Flying in from NY? Welcome! Flying in from Ft. Lauderdale? Here's your forced quarantine hotel room.

6. TigerVols

The only thing Newsom did wrong in announcing it yesterday was not naming it "The Western Confederate States of America."

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s the best news I’ve heard in a long time. Clear actions. And it has to be done as a coalition because of the population density. Acting as individual states won’t work.

It’s the type of common sense, doing what’s best for people, that we’ve lacked for 3.5 years at the federal level.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

I can only speak for me, but it sure seems like, in my state of Alabama, the governor is in charge (except for her shadow council, who tells her what to say and when to say it) and what she says will go when it comes to reopening the state. And I trust that God will help us in our hour of need, because she's fucking clueless.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

While I applaud the consortiums working together, how are they going to keep people from non-participating states from crossing the border and starting a second or third wave of infections?

10. Neutral Corner

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think geographic isolation helps the Western states a bit. There's so much commercial traffic even now between the Northeast and the rest of the country I don't think it can be prevented.

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted