1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOL Obama still trying to please everybody.

On a personal note, my father lived in Kalorama while in med school

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trying to rally as many as possible. There's a difference.

qtlaw likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Those are the stories we need to be reading. Let me hear from those people.

Not the "Stay. The. Fuck. Home." proclamations from people working comfortably out of their home offices, doing even better financially than before the pandemic (steady income + gas/restaurant/entertainment savings + stimulus check).

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Stay. The. Fuck. Home. reflects that it's a HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS AND DEADLY VIRUS that is hurting the economy (the shutdown is in place because of the virus). Without acknowledging that first, it's like saying, "I know the tumor is still growing, but this chemo really sucks. I really want to, need to, stop it now."

OK.

If you believe the shutdown is necessary (and FWIW, I believe the other point of view is worth listening to and considering, and it's not entirely ridiculous, nor should it be dismissed out of hand), it's because subjectively whatever stories of financial hardship someone has, you believe that those stories pale in comparison to the prospect of scores of vulnerable and older people dying and our healthcare system being overwhelmed if the virus runs rampant through the country without any mitigation.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

They also love the Constitution, which requires a post office and a census.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I was a champion sailor. People don't know this. I won a lot of regattas. Some people call them races, but when I entered, they got upgraded to regattas. You should see me on a broad reach. It's my favorite reach. I can navigate, too. I don't even need a compass. I just look at the constellations. I know all the constellations ... there's the Big Dipper, and uh, the Medium Dipper, and Onion and Saskatchewan and Leon. Most people don't know this, but they have this race... the "Amer-I-ca's CuP." Before I became president, it was just called "The Cup." They changed it for me. I won it a bunch of times. I used to own a baseball team in Atlanta. My wife posed with NVA anti-aircraft guns. I started a fake news channel.

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, that's what a President looks like!

qtlaw and OscarMadison like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

qtlaw and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hair salons may reopen, but who's going to patronize them? At the place where I get my hair cut, 90 percent of the customers are obviously over 50, with most over 60. I doubt they'd come back if it reopened tomorrow. I sure as hell wouldn't. To repeat myself on this subject. An economy based on consumer spending and services is dependent on consumer choice. Many consumers are going to choose to minimize contact with the outside world no matter what's open or closed.

Tweener and Fred siegle like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I guarantee that we will be as conservative as possible over the next eighteen months or so. It depends on developments, obviously, but short of a solid vaccine and/or a large statistical pool of people moving about freely and safely I'll go out as little as possible while masked and taking precautions. My wife will go out a damn sight less than that.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

On Saturday, I gave myself my first haircut since we were getting drunk and shaving our heads in college. Only a very small assist from Ms. Ragu. . ...and it turned out surprisingly good. Even if the virus pulls a Trump and magically disappears next week, I may consider trying to get my money's worth out of these clippers and waiting until I completely butcher one on my own before heading back to the barber.

lakefront likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.