1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yep. Definitely doesn't take into consideration how different areas are doing.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Democratic mayor of Tuscaloosa, who has been both smart and effective through this. I think he's premature and told him so, and his answer was that he intended to be guided every step by the medical people.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've seen it reported that NYC added 3,700 today that aren't even in the total numbers for the whole country. Just, man.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A semblance of balance.

Which, I admit, is pretty useless among people who think the virus is camping out on tennis court nets and that no closure is a bridge too far.

5. Neutral Corner

No one could have seen this coming.

6. Neutral Corner

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Obviously not. But, again, what is the actual number of tests we can reasonably expect to conduct and process, even if we're at full capacity?
    If you could double it up to 300,000 per day, it'd still take almost 3 1/2 years. Even a million tests per day -- all conducted, processed and reported within 24 hours -- would take the better part of a year, and that's if you could theoretically find every single person in the country from Maine to the backwoods of Tennessee and the homeless encampments of California, convince them to get tested immediately, and then hermetically seal them away once you test them. In the real world, you'd still have the very real possibility of people getting and spreading the virus weeks or months after they were tested.
    It goes back to needing to find an acceptable level of risk, as harsh as it sounds. You can't possibly test everyone and control them to the extent that you would need to, for as long as you'd need to, to wipe this thing out through testing, isolation and quarantine alone. At some point it becomes a fool's errand.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We really don't need a balance of ignorance and knowledge, so your ignorance really isn't bringing a needed balance here.

10. Neutral Corner

At this point I'd settle for a balance of ignorance and knowledge.

11. Neutral Corner

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Instead of focusing on the pandemic issues, FATUS again succeeds in distracting for a day from his admin's gross negligence and utter imcompetence.

Draft saved Draft deleted