1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My view is colored by my economics degree. Let's not forget supply and demand. The unemployment comes because the demand for their services dried up. Now let's remember why that demand dried up. Its not because some change in habits evaporated the demand for the long run. Yes the demand is not going to miraculously jump up immediately but in the long run the fundamental demand has not gone away. The question is how to get those factors back that created that demand.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Is he visiting the Twin Cities?

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Agree. People want to do things like take a trip somewhere, buy clothes, see a movie or any of a number of things, but they just can't. When we open up, people will want to buy new clothes or make other entertainment or necessity purchases. The question is will the loss of jobs curtail a rebound in demand because consumers can't afford it? And then there will be some businesses that won't survive the prolonged shutdown. But we'll have to ramp up production and distribution, so that could provide jobs. We'll see.

5. Neutral Corner

6. Neutral Corner

7. Neutral Corner

This is either a bald faced lie (my take) or he's so ignorant that it is criminal that he's in that office.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Catastrophic but likely never to be known real national unemployment figures that could as much as double with uncounted gig workers, undocumented, part-time, self-employed, etc. Only beginning to see the cascading layoffs, bankruptcies, forced mergers, and shutdowns to come. It'll be years until spending rebounds.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Kentucky ottah be kicked outta the SEC for this, PAWWWWWWWWWL!"

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they try it again, hit 'em with water cannons.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's 17 states now a part of a pact, with 14 of the 17 having Democratic governors. Republican-led states are Ohio, Indiana and Massachusetts.

The only states with Democratic governors who are not in pacts are Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Montana, Nevada (surprised they're not in with the West Coast states), New Mexico, North Carolina and Virginia.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted