1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The comparison was number of dead to number of dead. I don't think that there's any slant to it. When it gets to as many as U.S. soldiers killed in WWI, I'll probably use it again.

Simple benchmark.

2. Neutral Corner

How do you define "exposed to the Vietnam war"? I grew up watching it live and in color on the six o' clock news.

How do you define "exposed to coronavirus"? Can't get tests, numbers are not accurate, or are you going to count everyone who sheltered in place as exposed?

This is silliness.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

By and large, they are.

Any could choose unemployment --- a choice not afforded to many who had that choice made for them.

Nobody's telling the produce clerk, "You signed up for a three-year hitch at Kroger. Quit your job, and you will be court-martialed."

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So is comparing a virus to a war.

Ten times as many people died of hantavirus in 2017 as died in school shootings. Is that meaningful in any way?

5. Neutral Corner

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The latter point is a valid argument.

But one way both the pandemic and Vietnam war are similar is that casualties are being manipulated like crazy. You can't trust the numbers.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The biggest lie here is the one you just posted, one that idiots like you keep trotting out there in your latest sad attempt to attack all liberals

Liberals and the liberal media are not claiming that China is on the up and up. They are simply reporting what is said. Do they do a better job of fact-checking what goes on here than what goes on there? Absolutely, and for good reason. They have much better access here.

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've had more issues getting away from the actual grocery store workers at Kroger and Publix than the other way around. Some of the ones fulfilling online orders are getting close to everyone with no real regard to social distancing. I've cut my trips to once a week at off hours, like right after the senior hour ends, to cut the chance of being in a crowded store.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is what I've been doing, too, but I may try at least changing up my day. There were way too many empty shelves last time I went.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I just left the grocery store near me an hour ago. If how these people follow the new arrows for aisle directions is how they’re living the rest of their lives I just want to say my goodbyes now because we aren’t going to make it.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why is this coming from the Financial Times energy editor?

12. Neutral Corner

What, he's not allowed to understand statistics?

If you're asking why I posted it, it's because the math made sense to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted