1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Guessing because it's a one-on-one situation. As opposed to no in-person dining at restaurants.

2. MileHigh

He's a multi-millionaire who built his wealth as a businessman. So he knows how much of an economic hit it was going to take. You're right, he was a bit slower, but when it started to expand, he shut it down. He probably was a week late with shutting down the ski resorts, which is where it started in the state.

I know some counties have been looking to open before the 27th. Eagle County in the mountains leading the way. Douglas County south of Denver has been making plans to reopen.

But it seems Polis and the Denver mayor Hancock have been clashing a bit. Denver's stay-at-home order is in effect until the 30th and it's like one is trying to open first (Polis) while the other (Hancock) is wanting to keep it closed up longer as a way to show he's about the safety of the people.

Hancock just had a presser and while he didn't extend the stay-at-home past the 30th, he wasn't ruling out extending it either.

I'm in favor of a slow reopening with the precautions. Keep the physical distance. I think people have been conditioned at this point that they'll do the distancing. If people want to wear masks, they will. They know there's still a threat and they will take the proper precautions going forward.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Are you ready for a restaurant world where you are served by a waiter wearing mask and gloves?
    Hospitality as we know it will be vastly different; social spaces are already planning for the change • the Hi-lo
    Likewise, Sterling Steffen, co-owner of Trademark Brewing on Anaheim Street, says he has no idea what his brewery will look like in a post-coronavirus world.

“We’ve talked about how service will change, for sure,” he said. “That’s one thing about our taproom that we consider an advantage: we simply have the space to still have a lot of patrons with plenty of personal space. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up removing a few stools from the bar and pushing tables apart even further.”

Some may think social spaces will return in exactly the same way and they may feel comfortable going to those spaces. But, as we enter another month of shelter-in-place orders, there will be a significant portion of people whose anxiety will be so high that most restaurants, bars and entertainment spaces won’t be able to ignore it.

Recently, Gov. Gavin Newsom said much the same thing, advising people they should expect their waiters to wear gloves and masks when dine-in options reopen.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

During the great Chinese famine, instead of feeding the people, Chinese politicos used to give the grain to the government - where it would not be used - as an illusion that it was producing more grain than it was to fit Mao's goals of becoming an agricultural superpower. 45 million people died.

But, by all means, let's quibble over the nature of the PR campaigns put forth by authoritarian governments to make some minor point about what you think I...don't know...about China.

6. MileHigh

I fully expect that to happen -- and I don't think I would have any problems with that. Employers will want to keep their employees as protected going forward. Bottles of Purrell on tables and bars.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Gov. Murphy expects NJ to be mostly in lockdown for a few more months, so
    Duh, there are many social media photos of bars and restaurants and what they are doing to re-open.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You do realize I'm not quibbling over what China is or is not doing nor am I buying into any propaganda. I'm more giving you crap for calling China both an extreme right wing government and an extreme left wing government and pretending like it is the same thing. It's sort of like saying the Green Party and the Republican Party are no different.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Is there sales tax on it?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I said it's a fascist government. Which, it is. To suggest otherwise is like saying the most important identifier about crooked cop is that he's a cop before he's a crook. (In fact, cops and their apologists do this far too often.)

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Larry David was already on this at his spite store, Latte Larry's.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted