1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fair point. But we're going to have to assume some risk at some point, otherwise we're going to be locked down until the middle of 2021.

I am not one of those clamoring to open now, by the way. But there's going to be no way of avoiding some level of risk if there's a "soft open" before then.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would bet most bar/restaurants, when they reopen, limit customers to tables only, at least at the start. And of course, they'll at least take their employees' temperatures every day. I am also very sure that none will reopen for in-person service here in Mass. until deep into gin and tonic season, maybe not until next martini season.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Reopening also puts parents in a serious bind. And I've not seen it addressed.

What do they do with children when school has moved online, but their employers expect them back on the job? Will daycare centers reopen at the same time? Programs for older children and youth normally don't start until school ends for the year. Are they going to ramp up and open early? Will Governors order schools to restart for the final month of the school year?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Damn good point.

I don't know every state, but every state I know is more or less out. And the same folks who said school's out for summer are in charge of summer programs that start the week after school's out. Why would anything change for summer programs?

It's a heck of a thing. Better have a good (and willing) network of adults willing to watch, or get comfortable, really quick, with free-range kids. (Which we had a lot more of 30 years ago.)

I think the kids will be alright, ultimately. Their parents, already set to overstress, may red line it.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I live in South Carolina. I was actually mildly sympathetic for how much it must have physically pained Gov. McMaster to talk out of both sides of his mouth the way he was talking.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That debt is owed to someone, you know. You can't just make it go away by decree.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Moscow is very hard hit. But that news (and video) is 10 days old. You need a pass in that city to go more than 100 meters from your home.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You fit references to Alice Cooper and The Who in three paragraphs. Very nice.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can see us continuing to work remotely, because schools are not going to open back up here. In our office of 13, four people have school-aged kids that they're having to homeschool while working.

Even if we do open back up, I think we'll revert to the plan that we had right before the stay-at-home was issued ... half of us work at the office one week and remote the other, and vice versa. It'll be a while before all of us are in there at once.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But?

Draft saved Draft deleted