1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But . . . people are getting their salaries for the entire month of April. We'll see what happens in May.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope employers allow some of that flexibility - especially for parents of elementary school kids.

I worry my wife and I will be called back to our offices next month. That will leave about four weeks to find a way to keep online education going for our 5th grader, making sure she's fed lunch and safe from harm. Once "summer" hits, she normally had a week of ballet camp followed by a week at tennis camp, then a week of vacation Bible school. After that is our annual trip to Gulf Shores. That knocks a month out of the schedule. If all those things are cancelled and we have to be in the office ... yeesh.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As part of the soft reopening here, offices can only go up to 50 percent capacity. They want temperature and symptom checks before entering buildings.

I would hope employers will have adapted in the past six weeks with telecommuting and work with their employees to make it work, especially if schools are still closed.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

But you can reframe it - temporarily - to meet the emergency.

Re-distribute sacrifice across the entire economy, rather than concentrate it on the folks at the bottom.

And I'd consider a debt forgiveness jubilee for college loans and medical bills as part of a longer term restructuring.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can also say with some certainty that everyone in our office has pretty much learned that we can run smoothly even when working remotely, and that no one "worked" close to 40 hours in a week unless we were out running events. People are getting their shit done in 25-30 hours, if that. Maybe this will be one of the things that busts the myth of the 40-hour corporate work week.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Again, those are multitrillion dollar messes that were spurred by the debt markets being price fixed for so long to CREATE the prosperity of trillions of dollars of debt.

That money is owned to someone.

Explain how you "reframe" it, without something that robs someone to benefit someone else.

Whether it is some kind of fiscal scheme that outright puts us all on the hook for that debt or it is a monetary scheme that tries to inflate away the debt (but saddles us with an even bigger future debt crisis), that debt doesn't just go away.

What you consider "sacrifice," is a codified system of stealing from one group to benefit another group. At least be up front about it.

8. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Think of the winds and breezes on the beaches in Florida.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Outdoors is different. Air conditioning circulates air in a closed room.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Unless it’s not different.

“Surfers are saying that they’re safe if they stay 6 feet away from other people, but that’s only true if the air isn’t moving,” said Prather, who works at UCSD’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography. “Most of the time, there’s wind or a breeze at the coast. Tiny drops of virus can float in the air and get blown around.”​

UC San Diego virus expert pleads with surfers to stay out of the ocean to avoid coronavirus

SFIND and Fred siegle like this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think with these past four to six weeks, people will continue to do quite well in social distancing, even with a slow reopening. They know the virus is still out there. It's getting a tad quieter, but if there is continued education about social distancing, I think that will continue.

Draft saved Draft deleted