1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And may get worse.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. That's his latest big lie. He's encouraging everybody to open things up, but he's going to avoid taking responsibility for that one, too.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Probably. I will say, though, my wife and I were talking the other day about how this has shown the dramatic impact of our daily lives on the planet and how easily achievable conservation goals really could be. I consider myself an environmentalist, but I never dreamed of how quickly the planet could heal if we took drastic steps. I always kind of thought that was part of the problem environmentalists face, is that even drastic changes in human behavior would take decades to show results.

If the planet can see so many benefits with these sudden, dramatic changes in lifestyles, how much effect can we have on the planet with more realistic, everyday changes in our lives? If I were working for an environmental organization, that's certainly the message I'd be trying to pump out.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  4. bigpern23

Yeah, no, most of the governors think all this testing is a scourge on their states. Fucking idiot.

garrow likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The sad part? Testing so far shows we're still "above the curve" needed to reach the targets specified by 2030.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. bigpern23

+1

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Correct.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

46,000 deaths in the last 30 days

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Shutup bitch.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If anything, I think this highlights one of the key arguments in the climate change debate. There was never much of an argument that dramatically reducing emissions would improve air quality and the environment. That part is obvious. A big argument against doing it was that to get to the kinds of reductions necessary to make a noticeable improvement you'd basically have to run the economy off a cliff by shutting down or eliminating huge sections of it. The benefits are not worth global economic ruin.
    I think that argument is definitely being proven true right now. This is, essentially, a test run for what the Green New Deal types have been clamoring for — reduced air travel, reduced vehicle emissions and oil production, farm production slowing down, etc. So, yeah, the air is cleaner. Great. We can all breathe a little bit better, if not easier, while enjoying Great Depression 2.

misterbc, HanSenSE and Iron_chet like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Just went through"? Like it's over?

Draft saved Draft deleted