1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Could you imagine if those protesting were young people of color? Hell, how much crap did Antifa get for doing their thing?

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you could be assured that the vaccine was 100% effective for life, how much would you pay to be among the first 1M to receive it?

I'd pay $5,00 each for me and my wife. Probably would be willing to go above that, too.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How much crap did the Lakota get for trying to prevent an oil pipeline that threatened their water supply? They were pepper sprayed and had water cannons used on them in below-freezing weather.

Football players kneeling during the anthem got death threats.

A bunch of Karens wanting to go to restaurants and hair salons are seen as patriots and freedom fighters.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And get police protection.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I'm sure ration books would go over well, should it get to that point.

We as a country accepted them during the second world war.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Staying home, eating, and watching Netflix was too much to ask.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Ah, but you don't have your FREEDOM TO BE FREE AND DO FREE SHIT LIKE FREE SHIT OR WHATEVER, DO YOU!?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Got the rage out of the system?

First, authoritarianism currently does play well with the national press, which is populated by generally incurious, overly certain people (both on the left and right) who, for a living, are asked to have all the answers. I'm not even necessarily in disfavor of some measures - though someone's gonna have to explain leaving liquor stores open to me while certain parts of the hardware store are off limits - but the media has long preferred dramatic, emotionally-driven, polarizing solutions to things. Closing everything was the clarion call before everything was closed, and persistent doom remains the story. We're a month and two weeks in.

In six more weeks, I'm predicting lots more people will be officially tired of a closed-down America and doing either one of two things:

>>Breaking quarantine rules frequently because it seems like a lot of other people are doing it anyway and how much sense do these rule make, anyway?

>>Quarantine rules will have been considerably loosened around the nation in advance of that rising sentiment, quoting "science" as a reason.

Now, if it's neither of those two things, then it's a third item, the one I suppose I'd fear, that even more authoritarianism is needed.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Come November that frothy GOP shit is history.

We're coming for you. fucking cultist fucktards.

No quarter will be given.

Come to think of it, we might not wait til November.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. But I also think the vaccine process will move more quickly.

Insulated as it is by academia and dawdling governments, science has long been accustomed to a certain pace. That'll change here, if only for reasons driven by massive profit.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, it'd certainly be a more dynamic conversation than the one we're currently having, which is mostly white folks on opposite sides of the political aisle, judging each other.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Also, can you imagine shipping vaccines to Africa, the Middle East, South and Central America and countries in the former Soviet Union? Warlords, tribal leaders, gang thugs, Aremian/Russian mobsters, corrupt politicians, etc., will be hijacking loads at the docks and airports and selling them on the black market. Coming up with the vaccine is going to be the easy part. Distribution on a worldwide scale is going to be a nightmare.

Draft saved Draft deleted