1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, this has not been a good week for the guv. I don't know if he's caving to the protests or not trying to move the goal posts by changing dates. I sent an email to a friend/former co-worker who works in the governor's office to say they need to be better on messaging and explain what things will look like going forward.

Yesterday, they likened the steps the state will be taking like a ski resort: Bunny hill, then green runs, then blue runs, then black diamonds, then double black diamonds.

OK, tell us what a blue run looks like. What's a black diamond look like? The messaging has been brutal.

But what happens when Eagle County gets opened tomorrow and Denver is still shut down -- supposedly -- for the next two weeks? Douglas County is champing at the bit to reopen. If you're going to keep it up to the local governments, then don't have a state decree.

Get on the same damn page.

Roscablo likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You know what, fuck this line of thinking. God you are so fucking insufferable. The "cools"? Fuck you.

HanSenSE, PCLoadLetter and JC like this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The messaging has been what has bothered me. I'm so confused! Did you send the email before or after the ski thing? Because if it was before and that's what they came up with then they really listened to you. Sheesh. I know higher ups in my wife's office are especially frustrated at what seems to be the going away from past requirements to move forward.

I saw someone complain about media coverage of everything and talk about how people have bashed Georgia's decisions and not Colorado's and why is that? While Georgia I think has been hit harder so it makes it even more silly and they obviously have a newsworthy governor, I couldn't totally disagree.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. MileHigh

I knew Monday morning about the "safer at home" approach was coming. But it wasn't until yesterday when they trotted out the ski thing, so not my idea, but I like it.

But I sent him an email this morning that was basically, W T F is going on here? He hasn't written me back. I know he's swamped and getting lots of crap put on his plate.

They tend to do pressers with the guv on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so it will be interesting to see what gets said tomorrow. Guessing they'll be in Eagle County tomorrow as they hinted Wednesday.

Because no doubt Hancock will come out with his presser beforehand to officially announce the longer stay-at-home for Denver, as a way to trump Polis as being the "safer" government executive as they continue their tit-for-tat.

After the Hancock stuff came out tonight, I emailed him to ask if there's a behind-the-scenes tug-of-war going on between them. I'm guessing yes. It's ridiculous.

But, yeah, there is ZERO messaging going on from the statehouse. They can't explain coherently why these businesses get to reopen, these others don't. Oh, and why does Denver have to stay shut down, but these other areas get to reopen?

As for Colorado vs. Georgia -- apples to pineapples. Georgia is opening gyms, restaurants, looks like a full restart. The Colorado "reopening" is very, very soft. Some more retail stores. No restaurants. No bars. No gyms.

I'm good with Polis' approach. Have a soft reopening with some places, social distancing, keep masks on, etc. Let's see where we're at in three weeks and if it's going good, then we'll reopen some more places. If not, then go back to where we were.

But either have the full state on board or don't. Hancock is trying to one-up him -- again. Denver came out today banning all booze in parks until late July and they will start to enforce people throwing footballs, frisbees, etc. But just jump out of the city limits and go to Aurora or Lakewood and no worries, you can do it.

Again -- get on the same damn page.

Roscablo likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This, I believe, came from the same pundit who, a few pages earlier, scolded people for being "judge-y" of those who sympathize with rabid, racist, hospital-blocking protesters.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

People on social media actually saying NYC cried wolf b/c the hospital ship was underused and is leaving. May they all suffer horrible deaths and choke on their last gulp of air as the virus tears their lungs out.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Well, on the opposite end it is being reported that Weld County is opening ALL businesses on Monday. Good lord.

8. MileHigh

WOW. Had not heard that. What a clusterf***

9. Roscablo

Kyle Clark reporting. Don't know how to embed a tweet off the phone! Total political move. Just nonsense. And Greeley is one of the hardest hit areas of the state.

10. MileHigh

Weld has NO love for Polis and will defy him at every stop. Starting with the oil and gas regulations he shoved through. Then red flag.

Again, 64 c0unties. 64 different pages.

11. MileHigh

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just send the staties in and arrest all the county authorities. Slam them into a jail with lots of covid positive prisoners. That should quell that bullshit.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted