1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Liquor stores are doing curbside too. Oh and it’s generating a state sales tax.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You've been posting some variation of this for days. I will probably regret asking, but what exactly is it you think we know we have to do?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's pretty hard to argue that liquor stores - when beer, wine and booze is readily available in grocery stores - is "essential" business. It's not. It's a luxury store. The choice to keep them open isn't rooted in science. It's a value judgment.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Entering a convenience store is not essential, either. Shut 'em down!

They sell one essential thing --- gasoline --- and you do not need to enter the store to pay for it. Ah, but they do have another source of state revenue: lottery tickets. And cigarettes. All in the name of . . .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Bev-Mo is on DoorDash (at least in my area). So there's that.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Let's just say, you won't be asked to say ah

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You've never been to a county line liquor store in rural Arkansas if you think they're a luxury store. Keystone and Busch Light are seen as high-falutin' next to Steel Reserve.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Booze is not available in grocery stores in my state. It is only available at the ABC store.

Dyno, Driftwood and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You can get Yuengling in Arkansas, so there's that.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

It's not a luxury for anyone with an alcohol addiction.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Or a marijuana addiction, apparently.

My point, in essence, is pretty simple: They're not open because science. Like a lot of things, it's a value judgment. Science isn't "because sales tax revenue."

Right now, millions and millions of American kids are getting a lousy education. Beyond lousy - basically nonexistent - if they don't have Internet service or laptop/tablet/etc. Now, because science, their in-school education is deemed inessential. If that rolls into the fall? Or the winter? What if some public official declared "until a vaccine, no in-person school, because science." Consider the statement we're making about education. No school. No movie theaters. No sports. No church. Because science.

Weed tho...

12. BitterYoungMatador2

In Pennsylvania, you can't legally buy marijuana without a medical card, which means you went to a doctor and got diagnosed with something that marijuana can assist with -- anxiety, chronic pain, etc. So, in that instance, it is science. Obviously, states in which recreational weed is legal are a totally different situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted