1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the point is here. Addiction? High alcohol content? Luxury? Cocktail culture? Cools?

Of course it's a value judgment, and has been for millennia. Folks have been getting happily loaded since Noah as a way to take the edge off.

Google 'whiskey rebellion' if you think it's non-essential. And the comparison between keeping schools open, with thousands of people in close proximity transmitting the virus, and letting people come and go from the liquor store or weed dispensary in an orderly fashion seems inapt.

Also, Kools and a 40 are cocktail culture in my neighborhood.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Or it could be that school, movie theaters, sports and church services produce a big group of people who are all close to each other.

Unlike liquor stores.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My usual haircut place never has more than 9 people in the entire building. Three employees, three people being attended to, three people waiting in chairs.

And it's full of soap and hot water.

Safer --- and more essential --- than a liquor store.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You really think that's a more compelling argument than the "cools on twitter" theory?

Inky_Wretch and I Should Coco like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You can have all of the ideology you want here, but the point remains that states with STATE-RUN LIQUOR STORES are not shutting off a major source of revenue at a time where they're already planning on slashing budgets because some ninnies think they're "non-essential." Now states like Arizona where you can buy your Popov at the Circle K, maybe it's a different story. And no one is arguing it's in the name of science. It's absolutely in the name of money.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

OK, we're in agreement.

Except for the pesky part about "people need to earn income every bit as much as states do."

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Barber shop ... the employee is literally right on top of you, constantly touching and breathing on you. Masks only do so much.

Virginia liquor store ... you get close to no one, pick up your product and get out of the store.

By the way, I'm one of those who would absolutely go get a haircut with precautions in place. I'm not that paranoid. But damn, there's a huge difference between the two.

MileHigh and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What an idiotic comparison. Are people sitting in tight quarters in confined space in weed stores like they are in classrooms?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

be careful

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So I'm left with no answers and just the regret. That's what I get for making the mistake of engaging.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You're not dumb. Figure it out.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted