1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No worries, I'm sure they're all wearing masks and practicing social distancing.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

WE HAVE BEEN INCONVENIENCED!

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's not that many -- maybe 1000. While there certainly not observing actual distancing, they're not elbow-to-elbow.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He's a libertarian, so he knows everything.

The idea that we need to open up does seem to be gaining a lot of traction. They say the models are wrong. Just keep the elderly isolated and safe and let everyone else go about their business.

It's sort of like when the government was shut down in 2013 and everyone had a shit fit because national parks and monuments were closed to the public for what they thought was no good reason. That idea got a lot of traction and the idea that this is all overhyped and "the cure is worse than the disease" is gaining a lot of traction now.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My class periods are 85 minutes.

In many cases, the problem is that students don't value education, it's they don't have a good example at home. When you have a kid whose unemployed dad tells him "he don't need ta no that ole' skool stuff cause he never learnt it and look how good he's doin" or "why ya readin that book. I never learnt nuthin from no book" .... it's in uphill battle.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Here's the problem with that. They don't have the first bit of understanding of the subject they're talking about.

7. Smallpotatoes

Yes, but they repeat it over and over. After a while it becomes accepted as true.

8. Neutral Corner

Goebbels was good at that one too.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does anyone? Has anyone made any serious headway on actual treatments, cures, even figuring out exactly how this virus spreads?
    The general theme from the medical community seems to be to lock yourself up, stay away from other people and hope like hell you don't get it in the first place. And we're having some mixed results with that since it's almost impossible to do in a real world setting. They say wear masks, and then say masks are marginally effective. One treatment shows some promise, and then another study says it has side effects so that's out. One model says it's going to kill millions nationwide, but if you break it down there are scores of areas that have only had a few cases, let alone deaths. Almost half the cases in a nation of 330 million are in a handful of cities.

Meanwhile, we're in our second month of what amounts to national house arrest and the message is that this might extend for months or even years. The groceries people bought in March are running out, and now they have no jobs to buy more because governments have effectively shut their industries down.

Maybe the protestors don't have a deep grasp of the subject when it comes to the virus, but the people telling them to shut up and go home don't seem to grasp the bigger picture of what's slipping away the longer this national shutdown lasts.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Shoot, teach in our district. We're top-ranked in the state for innumerable reasons -- the teachers and students and parents.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  12. Neutral Corner

Saying that the virologists who have not come up with a cure for a new virus that's five months old "don't know anything about it" is ludicrous. Moreover, you don't have to know the particulars of Covid to understand basic public health measures. The playbook for fighting a pandemic is well researched and understood.

It's getting these propagandized pinheads to listen that's the problem. I keep saying it - it's going to take a big die off before the yammerheads start to take this seriously.

I understand pocketbook issues and desperate people, I do. This is a greater good problem, and we need to help our neighbors, not least by not getting them killed. Society is starting to adapt, and that will continue. I believe that we're going to get another big dose come the fall, and that Covid is going to be around infecting people for a couple of years. We'll learn strategies that protect us, and some of them will change our society.

This is like living in London during the Blitz. People die at random. Businesses are destroyed. We need that sort of civic mindset to face this thing down, and instead we've got bozos with AR's flexing and preachers scamming and politicians manipulating.

Draft saved Draft deleted