1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Here's one of my Trump-supporting friends' defense

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

One of the dads from my 18s team made a parody video, it’s pretty good.
    Here's my quarantine video. The old timers will recognize the tune.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This sentence makes me weep for you state

5. Smallpotatoes

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Cry me a river.

7. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

My volleyball club has started using zoom for drills and workouts. We have 15 teams doing it so far, to varying degrees of success. The 14s boys and 14s girls tend to have 80-90 percent participation. The 15s are similar, maybe slightly under. As we get in the older groups, the attendance drops, but still not to the point it’s useless.

the kids can do calisthenics, workouts, and some individual ball handling pretty well. It’s also good for going over technique like spike approach. The younger teams are also playing Pictionary, charades, etc.
    Overall, it’s worked out well, even if you look at it as a way for the kids to get together and socialize a little. If and when we are able to have actual group practices in the gym, I think we’ll keep doing a zoom each week for each team as an additional practice that doesn’t need the gym time.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ted Mosby is upset:

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

I'm kind of torn myself. I understand the need for everyone to be safe and how serious this is.

At the same time, as I've documented on another thread, my hours have been cut at work, from a full 40 a week to eight or less. Now the company is shut down for all of next week and I won't work again until sometime in May. Because my hours have been cut due to this, I am eligible to collect unemployment benefits yet for some reason each week when I request payment, my request is denied and I have no idea why. Because of how overwhelmed the system is, I can't even call or email anyone to find out why. I called. The call's message referred me to a form on the website to fill out to request a callback. I filled it out 10 days ago and nobody's called me yet. I doubt they ever will.

My situation isn't as dire as some people's. I have enough in the bank that I'm not too worried about the next few months, as long as I stay healthy. What I am worried about is the fact that at some point my brothers and I am supposed to sell the condo I'm squatting in (it belonged to my mother who died about a year ago) and move. Without a stable source of income, finding another place to live will be quite difficult.

Right before everything shut down, I had an interview for another job. i don't know what's going to happen with that now.

I'm kind of resigned to the idea that at some point in my life I will be homeless.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sorry, sorry I thought orange was the new blue font. Apparently not.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is it that we don't know anything, or that the messaging about the virus and what we do know has been hopelessly incoherent and contradictory?

So far, from Wuhan to Florence to Los Angeles we have one strategy that works immediately. Isolation. Collective action. Our fetish with individualism won't save anyone.

And with all the time we had to prepare and all the resources at our disposal, more than 50000 Americans are dead. More than 50000.

That it hasn't gotten to your state or your city is only a matter of time.

Maybe if we demanded more of leadership, we'd get better leadership.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I will repeat something I said a few weeks ago. If anything, my surprise has increased about general the compliance has been with the shutdown orders and how willing the public has been to support them. There was a post on Vox yesterday on how Floridians, a group often mocked by all other Americans, had of their own volition acted as if there were shutdown orders before they were actually issued and that this was one reason their coronavirus toll (so far) had been less than expected given the high percentage of older residents. The protestors get media attention because it is an iron law of America that the more you act like an asshole, the better your changes of getting on television. But the locked-down majority is what counts.

Draft saved Draft deleted