1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In today's NYT opinion section:

Opinion | College Campuses Must Reopen in the Fall. Here’s How We Do It.

"The reopening of college and university campuses in the fall should be a national priority. Institutions should develop public health plans now that build on three basic elements of controlling the spread of infection: test, trace and separate."

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This piece assumed a lot of capacity on the part of colleges and universities that doesn't exist anywhere in the US as of now. Not to say it couldn't be developed, but it's a blue sky proposition today.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Bobble-throated slapdick from the state of Arkansas.

h/t CPP

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Agreed but isn’t that what the Federal Government is supposed to do? Establish federal standards? YES.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Maybe if someone had started planning a response three months ago we'd have a better handle on things.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

This is exactly what needs to be done. That approach is Public Health 101. It's a no brainer, proven policy.

And the "Freedom" crowd will sprain themselves to fight it.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with the premise, though I think June 1 might be too long. Take Virginia, for instance. We've had less than 500 deaths statewide, and at least 20 percent of them came in one nursing home. I think you're going to have a hard time convincing people in this state--if the numbers and rates stay where they are or are falling--to lock it all down for another full month. Even if our stay-at-home order is in place until June 10, non-essential businesses are only required to be closed until May 8. (That's another discrepancy that our governor doesn't seem to have an answer for, but anyway...)

I'm not ready for it to be open today, but I think May 8 is reasonable. I've said it before, people are going to have to assume some level of risk at some point. You already do when you trudge through a still-too-crowded Kroger or Publix.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Right. The author suggests dorms without shared bedrooms or bathrooms -- maybe some of those exist at Brown University, but I can't imagine there are many at State U. So is the suggestion then that half the students or fewer actually live on campus? Does priority go to out-of-state/international students (who schools badly need, given the large checks they write)? And the suggestion that big lectures remain online instead of using crowded classrooms -- so a freshman will be on campus but taking almost all classes online? Doesn't sound ideal.

Just so much to figure out and not much time if the goal is to open this fall.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Russia really needs to do something about its defective windows.

11. Neutral Corner

Fell out a ground floor window after committing suicide by shooting herself in the back thirteen times.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's despicable.

How dare they inconvenience her by sending sick people to her hospital. :eek:

"We only take healthy people. Keeps our malpractice premiums reasonable."

Draft saved Draft deleted