1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think that's a sensible plan. Do it stages. If the first week goes well, go to step 2. Etc.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Letting Florida and Georgia walk point works, too. I feel for their citizens, but if they get virused all to hell in two-three weeks some of the others might listen a little.

3. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

The thing is, even if we get virused all to hell, it won't be noticeable in two-three weeks, but in five weeks at the earliest, by which time it'll be too far past the opening and lots of other states will have at least partially opened too, so there won't be as obvious a link.

4. Neutral Corner

5. Neutral Corner

Maybe. It's not like they've adhered to the guidelines closely. A couple of Alabama counties have suddenly blown up into hot spots. Whether its a meat packing plant, or a nursing home, aftermath of a church or a a demonstration, there are already some pockets out there cooking, sure as hell. If you get one of those, is it handled quickly and well, or does it get the response get booted and it spreads?

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We may never know, because those two states will simply stop reporting numbers if they break bad.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, it's an immense trolley problem. Who lives? Who dies?

A bioethicist on the hidden costs of lockdown in Italy | Aeon Essays

As a bioethicist, I can’t help but reflect on the situation with my professional hat on. A major ethical issue during the Italian crisis has been the fact that doctors have been thrust into a position of responsibility for allocating healthcare resources under conditions of dramatic and unexpected scarcity. After the Lodi outbreak, hospitals in Lombardy quickly reached capacity, with beds laid out in camp-like conditions, and with an insufficient number of respirators and ventilators for all the patients who required them. The Italian College of Anaesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care tried to make the decision criteria for access to intensive care transparent, to relieve some of the pressure placed on doctors. The document they released in early March aimed to guarantee ventilators for patients with the highest probability of therapeutic success – that is, those with the ‘highest hope of survival’. The criteria adopted were utilitarian: age and pre-existing medical conditions were factors that pushed a patient down the line.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

agreed

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn it - this may put me over the edge. And yes, I'm disappointed about the show. But what really stings is I'd h0ped like hell this would be done by then and now I wonder if it will ever end. Will I get to see my new granddaughter before she starts school!?

Draft saved Draft deleted