1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Finally came to the firm reality that I have a huge problem with alcohol. I don't hide my level of consumption, which would make most Irishmen blush, but I don't like myself anymore. I think I've developed a full-blown addiction, my tolerance is sky high and I'm raising red flags. Nearly a 750ml of Cuevo Silver every night for a month. The fun is out of it.

That's why I love this place. Can feel somewhat free and revelatory, no ancillary repercussions. I don't need help, per se; I just need to learn how to help myself.

It was a good run,
    But after almost 30 years, I'm done.
    Alcohol, tobacco, I'm taking you out back, yo.
    Rather be dead to me than the death of me.

The muse has been abused,
    Doesn't wanna hear it when you're weak, used.
    Misuse of talent is nature's prime evil.
    Can't parry with the alphas?Then go work at the landfill.

Exposed, defensive, of no use to others.
    I won't let this be the final chapter, and nor will be my brothers,
    They see me at my worst, as my prime antagonist.
    My fiance has some ideas...but doesn't ask the questions because she probably can't handle the answers.

I need to dry out -- oh, and stop writing drunken poetry.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My friend, if that intake number is true and correct, we need to get you some help.

PM / DM me if you like.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Why does everyone else in the country want to open back up? Because it's a New York problem. Twenty percent of the deaths from this are in the New York metro area. It sure as hell hits home for Azrael and Moddy and others who live in the greater NYC area, but it's not hitting home for the people in Virginia, for instance, where there are still fewer than 500 deaths.

It's that simple. Many, many people do not view this as a national crisis. They view it as a New York problem. I don't agree, but I see precisely why people are not taking it as seriously as they should.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sad Kansas trombone

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is likely true.

Still, 500 Virginians dead.

55,000 Americans dead.

And no testing in place; no vaccine; no national strategy; no plan.

So I wish them luck. I wish us all luck.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you.

I was living in Flagstaff when 9/11 happened, and I felt the same thing from people I talked to out there. It was an East Coast problem, a New York and D.C. problem. Getting the same vibe from some now.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Also, people are stupid. You're already seeing memes and stories from 'experts' denying that the virus dangerous and saying the social distancing was a deep state ploy. Ugh. I think the quarantine did ease the transmission of the virus. I'm not sure we'll ever know how many were infected and asymptomatic because of the inadequacy of testing. I understand why people want to get back to life. I'm not sure if simply opening stores and restaurants will entice people in, though. Sure, some will. I'm... not in any hurry. Will they make enough to stay open once they are? Who knows? My fear is the second wave. Will there be one? When? How big will it be? Will it be worse? Are we making it worse? I can afford to sit back and see what happens. I know that not everybody can.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree. And witnessed and heard the same after the 11th.

Still, it stings a little to realize some substantial number of Americans don't give a fuck about anything. Which is how we got Donald Trump as president.

And we abandoned any willingness toward collective action or sacrifice during the Reagan presidency, in favor of comic book capitalism and misinformed self-interest.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I lived aways from DC/NYC, gosh, 18 years ago. Maybe it was the group I traveled in but I never heard that once.

I’m hearing it now though. In some places - rural Montana - it’s probably a legitimate sentiment, in the sense that, because the virus is not a moral being, punishing some vague sense of imprudence, there probably is no particular reason for shelter in place orders for areas where the virus isn’t.

It makes less sense in Texas. It makes almost no sense in Texas, to be honest.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'd trust him before I'd trust some of the GOP's handpicked "experts." Heck, I'd trust Christopher Lloyd before I'd trust any of those clowns.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Qualifier: Not an addict, but I used to work with dual-diagnosis populations.

Sir, take care of yourself. Please. You've got a partner and family who would be devastated if something bad happened to you. Good for you that you've recognized this is a problem. Getting help from anyone who has been there, done that, and raised their hand when you asked is going to go a long way when it comes to you walking away from this.

Godspeed (or Saganspeed or whatever speed works for you.)

Draft saved Draft deleted