1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can definitely see that way of thinking. Imagine living in a county with only a few cases and having to shut down for 6 week period. It doesn’t seem real if you don’t have it or know someone who does.

I live in an NYC suburb of 30k which is at 31 deaths, including 12 deaths over the weekend (all over 60, most much older and 6 of whom were in assisted living). And it still doesn’t quite feel real to me because no one I personally know has been symptomatic.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I should clarify and say that was the feeling I got from some the day it happened. Being that far away made people feel so removed from everything that it probably just didn't feel real. Different for me because I had a lot of family and friends in the D.C. area. Once the dust settled the enormity seemed to seep in.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The size of New York, and the population density, make it so that yeah, New York has been hit really hard, obviously.

It was made much worse by the virus finding a foothold in the tri-state area before we had as good of a handle on what was going on, so there was nothing being done to mitigate the spread, the way it has been for the last 6, 7 weeks.

Anyone saying it is a New York problem, so it shouldn't inconvenience them, is being idiotic and is thinking like a child, in my opinion.

This thing has devastated Spain, Italy, parts of China, Germany, Iran, New York, Detroit, New Orleans, among places. Nursing homes in quite a few places have tragically turned into death homes.

No place is immune if the virus catches a foothold, and the very thing that has spared a lot of places in the relative sense was the inconvenience they think should just be a New York thing.

Without it, the cases would undoubtedly be much higher, and we'd see limited hospital space in a lot of places being overrun, particularly because most places don't even have as many hospitals and health care resources as New York has. A lot more people would almost certainly have been dying if the cases hadn't gotten spread out more via containment efforts.

It's fine if people want to have a pros and cons discussion about whether the mental, financial, physical, etc. toll of the containment justifies the life and death benefit, but there are some people who seem incapbale of making it an honest discussion and acknowledging a difficult reality.

I hope I am wrong about this, given that I think that places like Tennessee, Georgia and Oklahoma have made decisions in a ridiculous and unreasoned way, but I am really afraid that those places are going to get hit hard now -- not necessarily in the pure numbers NYC has seen, because their populations are smaller, but on a basis relative to their population and density, I am afraid is going to be devastating. And I don't think that enough thought went into making a choice that with a decent degree of likelihood is going to have those consequences. It became simply about what people wanted, like the virus is going to give a shit, and just about the inconvenience, not about WHY or what is the reason for that inconvenience.

To me that is stupid.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Again, I don't disagree with you. This is a selfish country. Without personal stakes in the death portion of COVID-19, people tend to dismiss the threat. What people nearly universally have is financial stake. That hits close to home, and that's where the hurt is. People in this country simply won't put up with being locked down for another month.

There's no win here, no nuance. Had we not locked down and our hospitals had become completely overrun, people would have bitched that we didn't do enough. But when we do the right thing and flatten the curve (to a certain extent, at least), now we've overreacted and we need to open everything back up. Black and white. Red and blue. That's all many people in the US see. We tread in far too many absolutes.

SFIND, Neutral Corner, qtlaw and 4 others like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've said it on here before ... folks on the coasts looked at the OKC bombing as a problem in flyover country, not where they lived. And after 9/11, a lot of people here in BFE were pissed off about enhanced security measures at various facilities because they believe foreign terrorism is a big-city problem.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My state has 42 counties in which the number of cases --- cases, not deaths --- range from 1 to 28. It has 76 counties that have seen 5 or fewer (usually 1 or 0) deaths.

All told the state has 54% of the population of New York. And 1.3% of the deaths.

I live in the biggest city in my state, 16th biggest in the US. Radio blurb on Friday said we had 985 EMPTY ICU beds.

For all the credit you want to give to the restrictions --- and surely, they've done some good --- you cannot ignore the following:
    We don't live on top of one another, don't cram into subways, trains and buses, don't have to duck and weave when walking our sidewalks, can go for a 3-mile run or dog walk without seeing another human.

That stuff matters. A lot.

7. Inky_Wretch

In Arkansas, the two biggest vectors for spread were church services in towns of less than 30,000 (until it got into the state's largest prison). Without restrictions, every church in the state would have become a hotspot.

8. BTExpress

Call me crazy, but I don't think the 4,200 people in Tyrrell County, NC (4 cases, 0 deaths) are all a bunch of asymptomatic carriers waiting to infect each other the moment restrictions are eased.

Way too many absolutes thrown around here.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  9. Inky_Wretch

Do they ever leave the county? Or have people from other counties visit them?

10. BTExpress

Beats me. I do know that when hurricane season starts, people over there likely will take it seriously, while people in New York won't. Because different risk.

11. Inky_Wretch

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted