1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My feeling is that we in New York (and NJ) are on our own. It’s frustrating. And the awful, “own the libs” and “no blue state bailout” crowd in federal leadership is frustrating, infuriating and depressing.

De Blasio has been bad. Cuomo was late, which hurt badly, but he’s been good since.

The Trump administration had been terrible throughout and now just hurling insults at us.

This isn’t what happens when there’s a hurricane, flood, tornado in a red state. We send money. We help.

I hope this doesn’t hit anywhere else as bad as New York. If it does, help will be there.

But yeah. Right now we’re on our own. And we can’t get rid of Trump and his hateful administration fast enough.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of what we don't know about C19 ... the WHO reported over the weekend there is no evidence having it once makes you immune to having it a second (and I presume third or fourth time). If that's accurate, what will be the death rate on second infections?

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama Gov. Ivey is out with the state's policies. Shelter in place runs through 4/30. I can't know if this approach is truly hers or if she has smart handlers, but this is a far better approach than I had expected from her. Good job.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed. Great.

I'm asking that, if the pandemic doesn't blow up in those areas - and, like I said, I think it might - what does that mean? Because you indicated the current course of action is "stupid." Well, if it turns out OK, was it stupid? Just dumb luck it turned out fine?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

VP Pence toured Mayo Clinic today. Despite being informed in advance of Clinic policy that everyone on its campus wear a mask, he didn't, even when visiting a virus patient! You know this was because he feared Trump would take doing so as an insult.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Then he should have been marched out. These people aren’t gods. They work for us.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree, but that's not how our society works.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it was stupid. Stupid is not making decisions in a reasoned way, taking into account risks, in addition to the rewards everyone is focused on.

If you put 5 blanks and 5 bullets in a gun, and I refuse to even acknowledge that I am playing Russian Roulette, even if I don't kill myself when I take a shot, it doesn't mean I was acting in a reasonable way.

That isn't a "heads I win" thing, or whatever silly characterization you have come up with. There is an objective reality, and even in the case of a reality that is somewhat murky to us because of our limited knowledge, there is still a way to make decisions based on sifting through the evidence we do have and trying to use reason.

Brain Kemp certainly didn't present any kind of reasoning that made sense on a reward vs. the risk basis when he said it was OK to open up bowling alleys and theaters and massage parlors, even restaurants, while the number of cases is still accelerating and it is spreading. If anything, the evidence that should actually have been available to him was that one person in a restaurant can infect people all over the room. If he actually thought that the reward still outweighed the risk of that, at least make the decision in an honest way and be straight about it, rather than pretending that you aren't really playing Russian Roulette.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How many grandmas are we willing to kill to find out?

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

11. Neutral Corner

Ever heard the one about how it is hard to prove a negative? That's a classic case. If it does not blow up there, we *can't* know why, not without lots more data to compare with.

12. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

My daughter was hospitalized last week. My wife and I took turns being with her because only one parent was allowed in at a time. And we couldn’t enter the hospital without a mask.

Pence is a colossal fucking asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted