1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I saw "Hasidic" was trending on Twitter this morning, which led me down a rabbit hole about how bad C19 has been affecting that community in New York. Seems like they are providing a pretty powerful counterpoint to the anti-social distancing folks.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That Gilead antiviral, Remdisivir, is back in the news.

This is their own study, and there was no placebo, but they are saying that when taken with an NIH study that is being done that does have a placebo group, it shows that the drug hits their primary endpoint.

The euphoria over this thing, at least in the equity markets, has been interesting.

It's positive, but unfortunately, it isn't a home run.

If the drug works, it sounds like it would be like the Tamiflu of Covid.

You need to get people on it really early, and it is intravenous.

So it sounds like at best, unless they can reformulate this as an oral drug, or develop another antiviral in an oral form, this would be the kind of thing that they have hanging as an IV in the emergency room, and if someone comes in with Covid and a lot of risk factors, they'd get them on the drug immediately.

They were playing with 5-day and 10-day courses of treatment.

A story about this drug based on ancedotals, based on trials happening in Chicago, caused some euphoria a week or two ago, and then it was mostly walked back, so I am am leery. But this is something that Gilead itself is putting out, so presumably there is something to it.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Williamsburg is a different world.

The idea that the mayor will try to police this, now, is an absurdity.

It's both too little and too much - and too late.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

good way to put it

baby steps, I suppose

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

this idiot

Screenshot_2020-04-29 musk march 19 - Twitter Search Twitter.png

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You've got a community that as part of its isolationist approach tends to view the rules of the communities they live in as things that don't apply to them. They were never going to listen, which has been devastating for their own community and dangerous for their neighbors.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wow. It's good to know it's still breakfast time and President Trump will not have the dumbest, most poorly worded tweet of the day.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The contrast between what is happening in the US and up here in Canuckistan is pretty sharp.

Our Province has said no gatherings of more than 15 until Aug 31. Got notifications from my kid’s Summer sleep away and basketball camps that they are cancelled.

A soft opening of some business is supposed to be rolled out next week. Construction and manufacturing never stopped though so only thing really slowed down was retail and restaurants.

There seems to be a growing feeling here that nobody is dying from Covid except the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. It has torn thru some nursing homes. Not sure how people are going to be kept out of the mountains and parks this Summer.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can I gripe for a second? I realize there may not be a whole lot else to report, but can we cool it with the stories of people being miserable. I'm sure sad stories are plentiful with the cancellations and people worrying about their health, the health of their loved ones, their personal economic situations, businesses etc. I just don't know if that is "enough" these days to qualify as "news."
    Added gripe - companies giving freebies, deals to medical folks, first responders and the military. I have no problem with giving the medical folks whatever they're due - but first responders and the military haven't been that busy. How about give a break to people collecting unemployment from this?

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure. And you were supposed to have us on Mars by summertime, hows that going?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Reasonable explainer here from former NY city council member.

Thread:

Draft saved Draft deleted