1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This is the best news I have read about this...

Remdesivir Speeds Recovery From COVID-19 In Preliminary Trial Results : Shots - Health News - Antiviral Drug Remdesivir Shows Promise For Treating Coronavirus In NIH Study

Why is this important? This means we punched it and made it bleed. Mind you, it’s still kicking our assess, but it bleeds. If it bleeds, it can be beaten.

Treatment is what gets us out of this. I’m still saying Jan 2021 we will be back to almost normal.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Batman likes this.
  4. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Yeah, I don't get that chart, although it does seem like reported new cases were gradually trending downward for a couple of weeks. I'll try to post a link to a nearby paper's charts, which use state-reported numbers. The first chart (after all the videos and ads) shows that the 7-day average of new cases reported had fallen from peaks in the 800s on April 13, 19, and 22 to the high 600s as of Tuesday night. The governor announced yesterday that Tuesday was a record testing day (13,000+), so I assume that over the next several days the number of new cases reported will rise.

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/state/georgia/article242270411.html

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't get about the fear surrounding Georgia's (and others') opening:

Flattening the curve was never about stopping the virus, or even preventing people from getting it.

It was about spreading out the length of time that people got it so that hospitals would not be overburdened (which could harm their ability to care for everyone else). That's it. It's about health care capacity. The number of people infected is the same; we've just been trying to have people infected over six months instead of six weeks.

Coronavirus: What is 'flattening the curve,' and will it work? | Live Science

Somehow this meaning seems to have been lost, and people are equating "opening" with "more people infected." No, it's the same number in perhaps a dangerously shorter time span.

Thus . . . the concern should be whether Georgia hospitals will be overburdened, and whether more people die BECAUSE of overburdened hospitals. So when you're looking down the road at the result of Georgia's action, that's where you should be focusing your attention. Not on number of cases, which is simply a byproduct of testing and was never meant to be reduced by flattening the curve.

I can only speak for my county, the largest in the state and the site of most the cases (1,567). We currently have almost 1,000 empty ICU beds.

"You have this belief that you are so very very good. And that this virus is so very very bad."

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The governor of Georgia is not making reasoned decisions. He had an end that he wanted, whether it was prudent or not using any sort of risk-benefit process (which he didn't), and that was all that mattered. So Georgia was going to open up, ready or not. Just as he resisted a stay in place order in the first place, which probably made the toll much worse, and he was slow to shut down.

The only mitigating factor is that just because an idiot governor says the state is open doesn't mean that it is. Many businesses are staying closed, and most people are going to be very cautious about where they go and what businesses they choose to frequent.

People put so much primacy on what government officials tell people to do, and to a large degree, it has made it so a lot of us have lost our natural instincts about doing what is best for ourselves.

Maybe the idiot politicians we are all seeing will bring about some good in that regard.

I saw that Costco is heading back to regular hours next week, and along with it, people are going to be required to wear masks to enter their stores.

It's kind of heartening to me. We have a president who has sent mixed signals, downplayed the threat, advocated for stupid things. The vice president visited a leading hospital where masks are required because of the risk to the workers and patients, and he refused to wear one. But businesses are mandating best-knowledge practices on their own, in terms of required distancing, masks required, limits on the number of people, etc.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I would much rather see the slow release in May, but the next battle will be keeping the release slow.

Each step needs to have at minimum two weeks between to see if what we are doing is working and if not, we pull back. BTE is right, this was meant to slow it down and buy us time to fight it. Ragu is right that many (most) people are not going to congregate until there is at least good treatment and some might wait for a vaccine.

But we do have to try. I’m just unsure the collective stupid of America won’t fuck it up.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO the main challenge of reopening is a social one. In a month, it's going to be warm to incredibly hot throughout the continental US. How do we create safe means for people to be outdoors? They are going to go outside come what may, and that could be the first falling domino of what's been a really successful public reaction to the shutdown orders. It's all very well to condemn people for going to the beach or Prospect Park, but when it's 95 outside, it's not too healthy to be indoors either.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Where's the testing?

Where's the tracking?

America is still in the "decomposing corpses in a U-Haul parked on the sidewalk" phase of the pandemic.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Especially in some of the bigger Northern cities where a normal heat wave can kill a couple dozen people shut in apartments without air conditioning. What happens when everybody is in those sweat boxes?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was talking about this with a friend, but if I was a restaurant during this thing, I would be putting any capital I had into expanding or renovating outdoor spaces ... patios, yards, rooftops, etc. People are going to feel a lot safer sitting outside drinking and eating than they will inside. Not everyone has the space to do it, but those who do can stand to benefit.

Draft saved Draft deleted