1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And you? What would you like to see this Administration do when it comes to the pandemic?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Trump never briefing on it would be a damn good start. Beyond that ...

I only entered this fray because @Alma and @Azrael were having an unjoined debate. I've yet to hear from @Azrael, so the question as to whether he's merely interested in messaging remains unanswered.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry. Work day.

Should I stipulate Trump as president? Or am I free to imagine some generic replacement president?

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

VORP

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, the message is, in part, the medium, so let your imagination run wild.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

These are just words. There's no reason for the "rule of law" to hold Montana to New York's standard, or to hold New York to Montana's standard. They're 2000 miles apart.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dunno what rule of law has to do with it. ... but there can certainly be a recommended national standard when it comes to public health that applies to New York, Montana and every other place in the country.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not possible, given the recent name change to Disparate States of America.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Trump administration itself issued guideline recommendations for reopening. They are being ignored by governors who wish to reopen ASAP.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, this absoutely is about all of the bullshit and lies and the circus he creates, responding to the threat every step of the way from a haphazard "what does it mean for Donald Trump's personal brand" standpoint.

Aside from that, which makes him a disgrace as a president and as a person, his erratic and endless BS has made it more difficult for states and localities to respond. Fine, if he's incapable of helping the situation, he continuously makes things worse. Endless examples. But for example, we had political flunkies invested in wasting public resources on gathering a stock of hydrochloroquine because of him. Just today, you had a governor of a state having to jump through hoops to fly in tests and masks from somewhere else, and have the whole operation protected by the national guard and his state police, because he was afraid of the Federal government trying to seize the stuff based on what other governors were telling him.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I didn't know the virus could read a map. I'm sure the people in Washington who live a 2 hour drive from MT are happy to know that.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The question was about message. Isn't a message all about words?

Actually, there are very good reasons to hold everybody to similar standards for re-opening. The virus is the same regardless of location. The way it spreads and the way it is treated are variables, but a bare minimum federal standard makes absolute sense because the states aren't isolated from one another. Individual states could then add layers on top of that standard.

Of course, restricting this to the message only is foolish. There should be action as well, such as testing and the distribution of supplies at the federal level. Those are things that should have been at least in the planning stages in January and they should have been in place by April. Our federal government has failed to do all that through a combination of factors that include incompetence and a lack of desire to get it done.

Draft saved Draft deleted