1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He said he would, and he did.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The coronavirus situation at meatpacking plants is going to eventually force a conversation on undocumented immigration and refugee/asylum immigration. I don't anticipate it being a pleasant conversation, either.

But what's happening there isn't right. The workers, many of whom fit into immigrant/refugee categories, are not sufficiently protected - or, they weren't - and, on some level, apparently language barrier is an issue, as well. My sense is, some of the living situations with undocumented immigrants - to be exact, the number of families living in a given apartment or house - is probably less than ideal, too.

America struggles with the immigration issue because it's mostly a "welp, not a job I'd do anyway" kind of situation. It leaves at this moment, however.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Everywhere that I have lived over the last forty years has had a population of Hispanic workers. Often these are men who have left their family behind and come to America to get ahead. Back in the 80's in Houston, every Friday if you went to Kroger after work, there would be a line of these guys at the Western Union window, wiring money home to wife or mama. It was very typical for five or six guys to split a two bedroom apartment to keep the cost of rent minimal.

With Covid-19 in the air, that has become an entirely different situation.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's not an exaggeration to say it is 20-1 by restaurants to stay drive-through/carryout despite being allowed to open. Everyone seems to realize it's not worth it except the people in charge.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think it's that big of a safety deal because many restaurants will opt out of opening their dining rooms.

Does it affect federal government payments to those folks? I hope not.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely curious, and maybe this is me being a pollyanna or whatever, but, it's Friday. Summer temps have hit everywhere. It's the end of a week.

What is the point of leading a national broadcast with this story?

First, I think we've all had plenty of projections and reports - dire and sunny - that change in a matter of weeks. Second, the report includes this bit of wording:

"The virus caught the global community off guard, and its future course is still highly unpredictable. There is no crystal ball to tell us what the future holds and what the 'end game' for controlling this pandemic will be."

OK. Why are you leading a broadcast with a medical report that admits it's speculating?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The curve has been flattened in many places, by all accounts. I mean that. It has. Medical facilities are not overwhelmed. So, the curve having been flattened, what now? Stay inside forever? Until God's spirit passes by? What?

I'm not saying I'm one of the people out at the beach. I'm not. I won't be. I'm saying, what's the new narrative? Nobody dies? It can't possibly be that. Nobody gets it? That's not possible, either. What are we staying inside for?

When the WHO actually admits Sweden is the model for the new normal - and we all know what Sweden is doing right now - what's normal for the US? Whatever a local health director says it is? Some angry person on Twitter's opinion? However Fauci feels on a given day?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver to require mask wearing in public starting Wednesday. No word on if stay-at-home order gets lifted next Friday.

Pushed into the upper 80s here today. People are out and about a lot more today. I bet people will defy orders and head to the mountains this weekend.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Our condo assoc, per the state of SC is allowing short term rentals starting today. No one from NY,NJ,CT can rent though. The building gets renters from Ohio so it's ok to bring it in from there. The buildings pools and deck area was closed as of yesterday, haven't heard the latest on that.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted