1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It’s code in the white supremacist world. They call the coming second civil war/race war the “luau bugaloo.” This is their way to identify without swastikas or white sheets.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're fake toughs. Arresting them would solve very little, but it'd kick up quite a lot.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There was an open-the-state rally at the capitol here yesterday afternoon. I drove by in the morning beforehand and there was an electronic sign saying open carry was against the law in the city and county of Denver. Didn't hear of any arrests.

The sign is gone this morning, but the capitol now has police tape wrapped all around it.

The legislature is out until May 18 and the governor works there and does two of his three weekly pressers from there, but there are many ways to get him out of there as opposed to doing it at the Governor's Mansion (where he doesn't reside). If protesters knew he was doing his pressers there, he wouldn't be able to get out.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If you let these assholes continue to do this with impunity, the next time, they'll take it a little further, then the next time a little further, until someone decent actually does get killed.
    "Hey, we stood around looking tough, and no one did anything."
    "Next time, let's actually point guns at state legislators."
    "After that, we can storm in all cool looking and fire a few rounds into the ceiling and floor."
    "I bet if we shoot a couple of the ones with D on their name badge, we'll get the Presidential Medal of Freedom just like Rush."

If you start hauling these fools to jail, charge them as felons where they can no longer own guns, or especially if the cops actually dropped a couple of them, they'd fold like cheap towels.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course that tweet that @Azrael posted is "the thing."

Flattening the curve means stretching out cases over a longer period of time. Instead of having a massive surge of infections that wreaks uncontrollable havoc over a very short period of time, you stretch those cases out over a much longer period of time.

The most immediately benefit of that is that you don't overwhelm your healthcare resources, which probably saves a lot of lives.

The secondary benefit of is that by stretching out those cases over time, you are buying yourself that time.

If you use that time well, or have luck with the things you try during that time you bought, you are hoping that you can develop therapies and ultimately a vaccine. If you do either or both of those things successfully, you are going to save a ton of lives.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think about the photograph of that guy screaming in the face of a Michigan State Police officer, spraying him with spittle as the officer, adhering to training, stood there silently. I suspect that guy's picture is on the phones of many a Michigan cop, and if he does something like drive with an expired inspection sticker, things could go hard for him. Car towed, license suspended, firearms in truck confiscated, etc. I mean, on the few occasions I've driven on Mass. limited access highways since the lockdown, I have noticed that despite the lack of the usual traffic, fewer drivers are speeding. This is because we know that the Staties on patrol do not wish to interact with potential virus carriers, so if they're forced to, a driver is unlikely to get off with just a warning.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

America, too big to govern.

Also, Heckler's Veto OK - if you're armed.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Are they breaking the law? (I have no idea.) How do you charge them as felons if they’re not committing a felony?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Or you’re of the proper ... sensibilities ... on or near a college campus.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So much for the 'ol "to make sure healthcare systems are not overburdened" story, eh?

I'm not sure when I first heard the term "contact tracing," but it was many weeks after the first utterance of "flatten the curve!"

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

freshman orientation 2023

27361522-8232457-image-a-180_1587240884649.jpg

garrow likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I’ll take ex post justification for $1,000, Alex.

Draft saved Draft deleted