1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

One thing nobody is addressing is America's warped work culture.
    Raise your hand if you've ever gone to work when you know you shouldn't have, not because you had to, because even though you were sick there was something that you really wanted to do or you had to finish or no one else could do. Or maybe it was just something you didn't want anyone else to do. So you had a fever and you went.
    OK, now raise your hand if you're compelled to go to work if you're sick. You might have sick days, but you know that if you use your sick days it will count against you. Your boss frowns upon you using your sick days. They want you at work. So you have a fever and you go.
    OK, now raise your hand if you do not get sick days. You are what we've come to know is an essential worker, you live paycheck to paycheck, you don't get paid time off in form of vacation (maybe a little vacation), but definitely no sick days. So, if you don't go to work you don't get paid. If you do that enough, your boss will fire you.
    How does that work when we're trying to stop the spread of a deadly virus which there is no treatment in no vaccine?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nope. Not ever. Maybe it should have been, I don’t know. But the message was always don’t overwhelm the medical system. Well, it’s not overwhelmed.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, it wasn’t the thing. Flatten the curve wasn’t “don’t overwhelm the medical system and also come up with a contact tracing protocol.” Maybe it should’ve been. But it wasn’t.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, it is not too big to be governed. It is being governed. Just not to your particular liking or preferred style. (Or in some cases mine.)

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't know because I'm not a cop or lawyer, but let's say they aren't breaking any laws:
    By that logic, the next time McConnell tries to confirm a SCOTUS nominee, I can stand menacingly on the floor of the Senate chamber with a sawed off shotgun. I can enter the White House - the people's house, therefore my house - with a loaded pistol on my belt.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well you keep telling us that we can't test or track like South Korea or Taiwan or Germany because we're too big and diffuse.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So there was a reopen demo outside the Nevada governor's mansion today. Crowd pushed past a barricade. SWAT team called. Mansion already guarded by cops with rifles, tear gas and dogs. Nothing happened, fortunately, but there's one state where the authorities decided it wouldn't be prudent to let the demonstrators, some of whom were armed, have their heads.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Police responding to people marching on the state capitol building with weapons is the act of a police state in your eyes? Seriously?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 25 March 2020

We have overcome many pandemics and crises before. We will overcome this one too.

The question is how large a price we will pay.

Already we have lost more than 16,000 lives. We know we will lose more – how many more will be determined by the decisions we make and the actions we take now.

To slow the spread of COVID-19, many countries have introduced unprecedented measures, at significant social and economic cost – closing schools and businesses, cancelling sporting events and asking people to stay home and stay safe.

We understand that these countries are now trying to assess when and how they will be able to ease these measures.

The answer depends on what countries do while these population-wide measures are in place.

Asking people to stay at home and shutting down population movement is buying time and reducing the pressure on health systems.

But on their own, these measures will not extinguish epidemics.

The point of these actions is to enable the more precise and targeted measures that are needed to stop transmission and save lives.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well it’s certainly harder to do so.

Although we know where a lot of the key hotspots in the Midwest are. Packing plants. What shall we do in those areas? Quarantine the counties? Pull the employees out of their homes, set them up in makeshift tent cities and ferry them back and forth to the plant? Close all the plants and run low on meat?

Draft saved Draft deleted